Welcome to my pond - Swim, wade, or sit on the bank

Speaking of calls -- do the drakes stand "guard" over the ducks while they lay their eggs like roosters do with their hens?? Malibu was in the log house for a long time this morning, with one of the drakes standing next to her. :pop

And I've tentatively chosen a name for the blue fawn girl -- Phoebe....
Have no answers...But love the name!:D

just finished page 7521...need a nap. ...will have to finish catching up later.

I was intrigued by 4 chocolate Wyandotte pullets (is there such a variety?)
There is...didn't think it was on the books yet though. :confused:

I may have to make the investment. Antiques need to be preserved.

:lau

Yes, Rob took my advice to go with preorders! Awesome! Gonna go order one.

Er, in case anyone in here didn't know, I'm a millennial (as is everyone born between 1980 and 2000; there are 37 year old millennials now). There are bad apples in every generation. That doesn't mean all 80 million of us are bad.

Anyway, sorry I haven't been posting in here too much. My great grandmother died late Tuesday night and I've been feeling a bit subdued. We weren't very close since we didn't see each other a lot, but I'm still sad, of course. She was my last grandparent. We are trying to organize her funeral and burial but my great aunt, one of her daughters, is making things as hard as she possibly can, which is not helping things.

:hugs very difficult! the chick ordeal is also a doosy. :hugs I hope it gets better soon.

My first thought was, dang, that probably ate a bunch of chickens. ..

Seriously thinking of throwing in the Marans towel.
None of my girls lay very dark eggs (all from good breeders and dark hatching eggs, so no fault there), one of them is a perpetual broody, and the splash "female" that was looking so good (chooks man really liked her), has, in a matter of the last two weeks, shown that she is really a "he" (early featherer, late bloomer).
So... guess I'm going to just call them all "pet quality" and step off the bus.

breeding that involves both the bird''s looks AND the egg color give me headaches. So yeah, I got out of Marans too. Also, I had such a time hatching the darkest eggs. And add that the darkest eggs are laid less frequently. :sick

I decided to go with high production breeds with zero egg color in the SOP.

just finished page 7521...need a nap. ...will have to finish catching up later.

There is...didn't think it was on the books yet though. :confused:

:lau

:hugs very difficult! the chick ordeal is also a doosy. :hugs I hope it gets better soon.

My first thought was, dang, that probably ate a bunch of chickens. ..

breeding that involves both the bird''s looks AND the egg color give me headaches. So yeah, I got out of Marans too. Also, I had such a time hatching the darkest eggs. And add that the darkest eggs are laid less frequently. :sick

I decided to go with high production breeds with zero egg color in the SOP.
Or...I'm actually really enjoying my birds that don't have a SOP yet (Silverudd's) even though there's talk about what to breed for, etc. Right now, it's more of a "good looking, healthy birds, cool looking eggs" kind of deal. Don't get me wrong, people are dead serious about them, and I definitely want to improve the breed if I can - I just enjoy that they're a work in progress and there aren't so many breed snobs for them out there.

My DD thought I hated her growing up because I forced her to not be like her friends and actually work for stuff she wanted or do without. Stuff she needed was a different story. Bought her a first car (older, but good until she drove it a while). Helping her out with a house with blood, sweat, tears, and savings. Comforted her through a few breakups and haven't pushed her out of the nest. Shared all my recipes and help her learn how to make them when she wants to. Gotta love them but they can be like puppies that don't grow up...
Mine says she ain't leaving and she gets the house . :lau She is also the one who said your not the boss of me when she could first talk . :confused:

Sage advice, Sir. Far too much of it on the pond here lately - I'm sure somebody slipped something in the water, while we weren't looking :confused:
The beavers are in control and building dams the pond is getting deeper is all . Hold your nose if you can't swim :lauSoon as you wake up we'll see if we can find something to lightin things up a little ;) I'll give it some thought whilest I'm feeding and gathering and watering that is . only a hundred or so behind today . And this is as fer as I got :th

Speaking of calls -- do the drakes stand "guard" over the ducks while they lay their eggs like roosters do with their hens?? Malibu was in the log house for a long time this morning, with one of the drakes standing next to her. :pop

And I've tentatively chosen a name for the blue fawn girl -- Phoebe....

Yep, bonded ones do... remember, Calls have a tendency to make mating bonds... some are deep and stay bonded, some temporary... young couples especially will do that when the female is getting close to POL...

Phoebe is a great name! :D

Or...I'm actually really enjoying my birds that don't have a SOP yet (Silverudd's) even though there's talk about what to breed for, etc. Right now, it's more of a "good looking, healthy birds, cool looking eggs" kind of deal. Don't get me wrong, people are dead serious about them, and I definitely want to improve the breed if I can - I just enjoy that they're a work in progress and there aren't so many breed snobs for them out there.

I've heard of Silverudds but not familiar with them. Will have to look them up.

Mine says she ain't leaving and she gets the house . :lau She is also the one who said your not the boss of me when she could first talk . :confused:

The beavers are in control and building dams the pond is getting deeper is all . Hold your nose if you can't swim :lauSoon as you wake up we'll see if we can find something to lightin things up a little ;) I'll give it some thought whilest I'm feeding and gathering and watering that is . only a hundred or so behind today . And this is as fer as I got :th

:pop

Yep, bonded ones do... remember, Calls have a tendency to make mating bonds... some are deep and stay bonded, some temporary... young couples especially will do that when the female is getting close to POL...

Phoebe is a great name! :D

She does tend to run with one more often than the others. Luckily he is one of my favs too. Lol although, i just saw him on top of another drake. :( I was really hoping to avoid 2 call pens.

I've heard of Silverudds but not familiar with them. Will have to look them up.

:pop

She does tend to run with one more often than the others. Luckily he is one of my favs too. Lol although, i just saw him on top of another drake. :( I was really hoping to avoid 2 call pens.

Was it serious, or just a tussle?

Back
Top Bottom