Welcome to my pond - Swim, wade, or sit on the bank

Just processed 3 cockerels and then found a snake as I was putting things away. Almost stepped on it, and if course, I'm wearing flip flops. Had to figure out how to keep it from going into the warehouse and then decide if I should kill it or not. Luckily there was a trenching shovel nearby so I prodded it back out the door. I'm thinking triangle head, coiling and striking, maybe it's a baby rattler. But it had a funny nose and no rattles, and I'm a pacifist at heart (coming from a long line of Quakers) so I scooped it up with the shovel and flicked it into the neighbor's field.

Google told me it was a Western Hognosed snake, so I'm glad I didn't kill it.

Now I need to get some real work done!

Those are good snakes for sure. They have a hard tipped tail and can rattle it in dead leaves too. We caught and released one in our woods up north.

:weee Eggs arrived! Resting until I check air cells this evening when it gets darker. Both boxes were pristine, no eggs broken! Hopefully they fared as well as they look. @RavynFallen awesome pack job! :hugs
Can't wait to see the little buggers hatch! :hugs :yiipchick
Those are good snakes for sure. They have a hard tipped tail and can rattle it in dead leaves too. We caught and released one in our woods up north.
Had one get in our apartment once... shook its tail and struck like crazy... had my ex scared spitless... I had to catch the sucker and toss him out... was just a garter snake, lol...

Just processed 3 cockerels and then found a snake as I was putting things away. Almost stepped on it, and if course, I'm wearing flip flops. Had to figure out how to keep it from going into the warehouse and then decide if I should kill it or not. Luckily there was a trenching shovel nearby so I prodded it back out the door. I'm thinking triangle head, coiling and striking, maybe it's a baby rattler. But it had a funny nose and no rattles, and I'm a pacifist at heart (coming from a long line of Quakers) so I scooped it up with the shovel and flicked it into the neighbor's field.

Google told me it was a Western Hognosed snake, so I'm glad I didn't kill it.

Now I need to get some real work done!

hog nose maybe.

I'm a professional photographer, a husband, a step-dad to three, an avid backyard habitat proponent, and overall nature lover. Things are busy, and adding chickens to our property this year only made me busier.

I've had a lot going on lately, including quite a few different photo shoots ranging from weddings, engagements, babies, and commercial work. I would like to share some sneak peeks at some of this work. The commercial work is non-disclosure, so you'll have to wait until it's public.

This shot is from an adorable family session that focused on these two little sweethearts.

This little bundle of joy was very sleepy.

This couple is so sweet. We really look forward to photographing their wedding.

Every week I visit the local Humane Society and photograph the new animals, to help them find furever homes.

While my business has primarily shifted to weddings and portraiture since moving to Iowa to be with my (now) wife and three step-kids, my passion still lies in nature. Though I don't get out very often for the time being, I cherish the opportunity to do so.

This was from a recent natural light-show, put on just Northeast of Decorah, Iowa.

I'm not trying to market myself or anything, but my work really gives a glimpse into who I am. You can see more at:
http://NickChillPhotography.com

As can be expected, much of the non-client photos I've been shooting lately are of the chickens, but with my smartphone. It's time to start keeping the camera on me while visiting with my girls.

It's always fun starting over though!
Hoping for more rain. It's actually nice here this morning. Yep, I'm putting eggs in the mail this morning and praying they don't start incubating in the truck.

Yeah, I'm already deciding on new breeds.

Congrats on selling your house, as long as a new one doesn't cost you twice as much! DDs house value has gone up like crazy, so they'd make a big profit if they sold but they'd have to pay a fortune to get another one there. Not worth it.

Good luck with your moves!
:frow

Exactly. The housing market is crazy hot here, and I'm not sure what my long term plans are, but we'll be renting for the next year. Kind of hitting a big reset button.

Yeah, I'm already deciding on new breeds.
Exactly. The housing market is crazy hot here, and I'm not sure what my long term plans are, but we'll be renting for the next year. Kind of hitting a big reset button.

This place makes it impossible to NOT want some of every breed. Then to have such good friends with almost every breed imaginable, its a rough decision.

Great news, WV! All this sharing eggs business is bringing on the banjos (again)
smile.png

We like spreading the good genes around.
gig.gif

Last edited:
I'm a professional photographer, a husband, a step-dad to three, an avid backyard habitat proponent, and overall nature lover. Things are busy, and adding chickens to our property this year only made me busier.

I've had a lot going on lately, including quite a few different photo shoots ranging from weddings, engagements, babies, and commercial work. I would like to share some sneak peeks at some of this work. The commercial work is non-disclosure, so you'll have to wait until it's public.

I'm not trying to market myself or anything, but my work really gives a glimpse into who I am. You can see more at:
http://NickChillPhotography.com

As can be expected, much of the non-client photos I've been shooting lately are of the chickens, but with my smartphone. It's time to start keeping the camera on me while visiting with my girls.

Welcome Nick
frow.gif

Nice photos.

Back
Top Bottom