Welcome to my pond - Swim, wade, or sit on the bank

One of my Ancona’s left me a present this morning!
It has a fairly dark grey bloom too
B61A7746-98E9-499D-AD38-09F870A4DD21.jpeg
B853A26F-82D7-4B0D-B8B6-2C47C1DC6ACF.jpeg

Like bobbi, I'm occasionally keeping up, just not as often, and don't have much to add, nor much time to type. LOL

yeah, :lau I would probably behead myself.

@WVduckchick treating chickens... 2 times to treat for scale lice... 2 times right after each other? or a week apart?

and how well did it work? What did you do with the coop?

I scooped a blob of Vaseline into a plastic baggie, poured in some Ivermec (no idea how much, really) squished it all together, and slathered it on their legs. Not heavy, but a good coating. I didn't even wash them first. I only did maybe 4-5 birds, one little cockerel and an older hen were the worst. They got maybe 3 treatments, with 3-5 days between treatments. I think I just did it twice on the other birds. Repeated when the Vaseline looked less tacky, depending on the weather and how much dirt they had rolled in.
For the coop, I swept out the old bedding, mixed some Gordons Permethrin in water, and sprayed inside once. Corners and edges especially. Left it open for the day to air out. New bedding put in before they went in for the night. Have not seen a problem since.

So, yesterday there was a police helicopter flying over my house. It sounded like they were going to land on my roof so I went out to look. Next thing I know my whole street was blocked off by more cop cars than I could count & there was a K9 unit walking thru the field in front of my house. The dog got wind of someone hiding in the bamboo & went tearing in, followed by like 10 uniforms. They pulled the guy out of the field bloodied by the dog & spent the next couple hours searching thru the field. Turns out the guy had robbed 3 stores right down the street at gunpoint, then ran into the field, tossed the gun & hid in the bushes. They obviously couldn't find the weapon. They were out there till after dark last night with flashlights & half the day today. They even brought the guy (one arm fully bandaged) back out to help them look this morning. They were gone when I came back this afternoon & I don't know if they ever found it or not. I'm hoping they didn't just give up & leave it out there. They left a few used latex gloves & a dried puddle of blood in the middle of my road. :sick
I love police dogs!!! :love He was so happy he got the guy
I just keep thinking, "How long did you have an armed robber hiding right out in front of your house?!?!"
Wow.
We have a friend who works with law enforcement on traffic accidents.
(I started this train of thought then heard a loud ruckus outside. Dang. Something got one of my young 55 cockerels and one of the pullets -took off with the cockerel but left the pullet dead - and left one pulled injured.)
Ugh. Now I have to figure out how, where, etc. I'm a terrible detective.

I just keep thinking, "How long did you have an armed robber hiding right out in front of your house?!?!"
Wow.
(I started this train of thought then heard a loud ruckus outside. Dang. Something got one of my young 55 cockerels and one of the pullets -took off with the cockerel but left the pullet dead - and left one pulled injured.)
Avian, or ground-bound, or do you know? You said whatever got them "took off". That could mean whatever it was got out of Dodge with it's dinner, or got airborn

Hey, Pond. Have read and kept up with you all today, but don't have the oomph to respond. Crazy day at school today, then went to the "big town" an hour away as soon as I got home to do some shopping. Got home at 8:30. Kind of stiff today, so heading for a hot bath. Have a good night, everyone!
Hope you'renot still feeling stiff this morning..:hugs
89° today. I, all by myself, figured out how to change the pad in the barn swamp cooler, clean the whole thing out, and get it back up and running. Well done, Orr, nice work and all that; the chickens thank you.

@Ravynscroft and @Fields Mountain Farm - your goslings are adorable!!! We had geese when I was a kid. We let the female raise a brood - definitely one of the highlights of my childhood!
Great Job Orr! :woot
Thank you.. I adore the little monsters. And I haven't even gotten to snuggle em yet...:lau
But they are both doing great this morning so ill be sitting in my chair with em asap..;)
So, yesterday there was a police helicopter flying over my house. It sounded like they were going to land on my roof so I went out to look. Next thing I know my whole street was blocked off by more cop cars than I could count & there was a K9 unit walking thru the field in front of my house. The dog got wind of someone hiding in the bamboo & went tearing in, followed by like 10 uniforms. They pulled the guy out of the field bloodied by the dog & spent the next couple hours searching thru the field. Turns out the guy had robbed 3 stores right down the street at gunpoint, then ran into the field, tossed the gun & hid in the bushes. They obviously couldn't find the weapon. They were out there till after dark last night with flashlights & half the day today. They even brought the guy (one arm fully bandaged) back out to help them look this morning. They were gone when I came back this afternoon & I don't know if they ever found it or not. I'm hoping they didn't just give up & leave it out there. They left a few used latex gloves & a dried puddle of blood in the middle of my road. :sick
I love police dogs!!! :love He was so happy he got the guy
Wow... I'm glad they got him. I hope they find the gun..:fl
Maybe them not cleaning up behind themselves is why the slang term pigs is applied..:oops:
Not being ugly.. my brothers a cop.;)

Ripe ones, too... :gig
Man I'm glad the pond is deep and muckyat the bottom...:lau

Wow.
:barnie so sorry... I hope you figure it out :fl

Good morning Pond!:frow

Avian, or ground-bound, or do you know? You said whatever got them "took off". That could mean whatever it was got out of Dodge with it's dinner, or got airborn
Sorry - it was definitely ground bound. E went outside to look at the crime scene with me. It Looks like probably raccoon. We heard them the other night. Our set up has trees that basically cover the coops and then extend over to our neighbor's yard. Looks like it came in on a tree, grabbed and grabbed at my young 55s through the one vulnerable spot in that pen and then yanked the cockerel through the welded wire, bending it. It's also one of the few spots my dogs can't access. Smart. I'm going to hardware cloth that area and really boost security on it. Dang. I'm not so upset about the cockerel - he was destined for the swap - but the pullet was a beautiful golden 55. The one I currently have in the house ate a bit after I gave her wound a good wash and slathered Neosporin on it. She's sleeping now. Poor thing.

Back
Top Bottom