Welcome to my pond - Swim, wade, or sit on the bank

Ok, you made me curious when you posted your county's population. I was surprised to discover my county has a total population of 19,000 in 888 sq. miles. Of course most of that population is concentrated in the southeast corner of the county where our only "city", the one with a stop light (actually has 2 now because of the highway bypass) which is our county seat and located in the "potato flats" (ancient glacial lake bed where the potato farms are located. )
We don’t have a stoplight in our county. Unless you count the flashing red stoplight in our second largest town where two state highways intersect. Our largest town has a population of just over 2000. Next biggest is 550 (where the confirmed cases of Covid are.) We are a farming community, right on the border of S.D. Many of the people in town are retired.
I guess the reality is that no area is going to be spared. One of the big problems is the non symptomatic carriers who are not aware that they are infected.
And that is the scariest thing. When an ambulance is called, there are specific questions that dispatch will ask. Based on the answers to those questions, the crew will don their PPE (basically a hazmat suit), or they won’t. BUT - if a patient is asymptomatic, they can be exposed without knowing it. One crew that works for the same company as my son has already gotten a call telling them that a patient they picked up the week before had since tested positive. The patient had no symptoms when the crew picked them up, so no extra PPE. That crew is now in quarantine. So every time my son comes here after working his two or three day shifts, we’re taking a chance. He will quarantine in their apartment (wife and kids would stay on the farm with us) if he has a known or suspected exposure, gets the call his coworkers did or doesn’t feel well.

“Help! The small human has found me...”
3C0CA2B8-332D-4ADA-B9AC-3A5AA83D2A75.jpeg

They still haven't tested my coworker, as far as I know. If she's positive, then I might be too and I might be one of those people with no symptoms. Again, no way to tell without testing. But me and all my coworkers possibly could have it, if she does have it. And we see a LOT of customers in the store every day.

Too many, in fact. People are STILL coming in to get things they don't actually really need.

Dang! The first confirmed case in our county (population 5026) was in a person who returned from a trip to Ireland then went back to work without self quarantine. Another person (who was on the same trip) at that business has all the symptoms. Supposedly a priest from that town (who was also on the trip to Ireland) also has the symptoms (after having mass for a couple of weeks after his return). I don’t know for sure about the priest, but the two others I do.
Our local polictions are trying hard to keep our numbers down.I can't believe that after all the information China and south South Korea have shared .They don't listen.If it isn't thier ideal it isn't right .We all need to be tested.And tested every two weeks .We all need to ware masks when in close contact with people .The feds have droped the ball and continue to fumble it.Like my son said people avarage people, knew of the virus almost as soon as it happened.There Face book post spread the word .Our intelligence gathering agencies had to have known in november.I guess Putin said they were wrong . And I will get by, yes I'm poor. But I have learned to budget .How many people will get money that haven't been affected at all financially?What good is money if there is nothing to buy with it.We need mask for our first responders .We need mask for us .When a nurse cries on national televsion ,scared for her life,because of the lack of proper safty equipment .It just doesn't make sense to me . The next time I'm in the voting boothe. I'll vote to fire them all.Saying you are smart dosn't mean that you are.A high IQ does not prove you have common sense.Please use common sense .I like it here. I don't get to show my ingroance often .What would I do without the pond ? And somebody besides DW needs to think I am a dumbass :frow:idunno

Last edited:
They still haven't tested my coworker, as far as I know. If she's positive, then I might be too and I might be one of those people with no symptoms. Again, no way to tell without testing. But me and all my coworkers possibly could have it, if she does have it. And we see a LOT of customers in the store every day.

Too many, in fact. People are STILL coming in to get things they don't actually really need.
Are you working at a vet? Or a pet store?

I can no longer remember.

Are you working at a vet? Or a pet store?

I can no longer remember.

Close - a feed store.

I left the vet, and I'm so happy I did. It was a very crappy work environment, because of the other vet techs who worked there. The other woman who was hired at the same time as me ended up quitting with no notice a little bit before I left just so she could get away.

Close - a feed store.

I left the vet, and I'm so happy I did. It was a very crappy work environment, because of the other vet techs who worked there. The other woman who was hired at the same time as me ended up quitting with no notice a little bit before I left just so she could get away.
Eh....

Toxic feed store.... sorry for all of this stress

Back
Top Bottom