Welcome to my pond - Swim, wade, or sit on the bank

The winter bird dumping of all the birds bought early in the pandemic has started.

I got a call from a coworker tonight that someone was at the store with a guinea in their car and trying to give it away to them.

So I told her to ask him if he'd drive it closer to me and I'd take it. He said yes, so we met up.

The full story ended up being that someone had dumped three juvenile guineas at the church where he went. He'd had guineas when he lived elsewhere but couldn't keep any where he lived now, right near the hospital in the city.

Of the three guineas, one was taken by a hawk. The other was killed by a cat. This last one he just managed to catch tonight, and then he drove to the feed store to try to at least get some food for it.

The rest from there is him talking to my coworkers and it making its way to me.

The poor thing is very skinny. I have it with some water right now to get it hydrated, and then I will be giving it food. If he hadn't caught the poor thing, I'm sure it would have starved to death soon.
If you had to guess... what percentage of buys become "please come get this"?

If you had to guess... what percentage of buys become "please come get this"?

Well, I have a whole flock of pekins that people keep giving to me because they shouldn't have gotten them. I have two more that I'm probably going to end up with because the guy came into the feed store trying to give them away and left his number for me. I called and he says he has no place for them for winter but he needs to 'check with his granddaughter' before giving them to me. Because after talking to her he'll magically have winter housing for them I guess?

I think the closer it gets to winter, the lower prices go, until people finally realize they have no way to care for them through the cold months and either try to give them away, or dump them like the guineas.

I think pullets sell fairly well all the time and probably don't get given away or dumped a lot, though that may change this year with all the people who did impulse buys.

Well, I have a whole flock of pekins that people keep giving to me because they shouldn't have gotten them. I have two more that I'm probably going to end up with because the guy came into the feed store trying to give them away and left his number for me. I called and he says he has no place for them for winter but he needs to 'check with his granddaughter' before giving them to me. Because after talking to her he'll magically have winter housing for them I guess?

I think the closer it gets to winter, the lower prices go, until people finally realize they have no way to care for them through the cold months and either try to give them away, or dump them like the guineas.

I think pullets sell fairly well all the time and probably don't get given away or dumped a lot, though that may change this year with all the people who did impulse buys.
Huh, interesting.

That I do not believe was from the fires but yes if your in this areas.
1601132838092.png

This is the post I was referring to. Maybe you saw a different one.

Last edited:
good morning on the pond!! got awakened by a dozen large wild turkeys out my bedroom window making all kinds of noise!
not to sound cold--but---you can't compromise your existing healthy flock to rescue all the birds foolish people can't handle--do what you can!
many of us on here have quarantine facilities we keep on the ready for when we take in new birds.

many of us on here have quarantine facilities we keep on the ready for when we take in new birds.
yes we do too--my daughter would take in all of them, but we have to keep in mind expense/space availability/etc and make educated decisions to continue the quality of care of our existing responsibilities

yes we do too--my daughter would take in all of them, but we have to keep in mind expense/space availability/etc and make educated decisions to continue the quality of care of our existing responsibilities
my DH has to rein me in. Even tho we have lots of room (acres and acres) if it weren't for him I would have a rescued animal on every inch!

Back
Top Bottom