Welcome to the flock, Carmella, Bean and Hazel :-D

I'm glad your having good weather that you can sit outside, it's rather cold and rainy here today. I always miss being outside with mine.
It isn't raining, so that is good sit in the garden weather. I have made a little porch under our back deck so that even when it rains I can sit outside and be within a few feet of the ducks. It was about 35F this morning. The ducks help me adjust to the changing weather. They don't seem to mind until it gets near freezing during the day. As I have written countless times, they don't do well if they sleep in less than 40F, but daytime they are fine especially if it is sunny.

Right now Seiben and Acht are nomming on some smartweed seeds. It's a pretty little wildflower, some call it lady's thumb or lady's purse. Tiny pink flowers whose petals enclose a little dark brown seed.

It isn't raining, so that is good sit in the garden weather. I have made a little porch under our back deck so that even when it rains I can sit outside and be within a few feet of the ducks. It was about 35F this morning. The ducks help me adjust to the changing weather. They don't seem to mind until it gets near freezing during the day. As I have written countless times, they don't do well if they sleep in less than 40F, but daytime they are fine especially if it is sunny.

Right now Seiben and Acht are nomming on some smartweed seeds. It's a pretty little wildflower, some call it lady's thumb or lady's purse. Tiny pink flowers whose petals enclose a little dark brown seed.
Sounds so nice, I have a chair I keep outdoors just so I can sit with my flock, they all come around and nom on my shoes or just walk up wanting to know if i brought them something special. We're to get our first frost of the year tonight. All mine seem to do okay in the cold, They find places where they can get out of the cold wind and snow and even though I keep their doors to their house open all the time even on the coldest days they still come outside. Sunny winter days even I like being outside.
big_smile.png
Sounds like a really pretty wild flower

Update: Day 12

I love Einz. I love Einz. I love Einz. Even though she yells at the new ducks. sigh.

I love Elfie and Fünf and Sechs, even though they lower their heads and take runs at the new ducks, and Romy. sigh

Introducktions at our place are a wonderful opportunity for me to experience delayed gratification, which is good for the soul.

Everyone seems healthy and, actually, well adjusted. Except, perhaps, Mother Duck, a grown woman who goes into the duck pen and explains to her flock that "we have standards."
roll.png

Update: Day 12

I love Einz. I love Einz. I love Einz. Even though she yells at the new ducks. sigh.

I love Elfie and Fünf and Sechs, even though they lower their heads and take runs at the new ducks, and Romy. sigh

Introducktions at our place are a wonderful opportunity for me to experience delayed gratification, which is good for the soul.

Everyone seems healthy and, actually, well adjusted. Except, perhaps, Mother Duck, a grown woman who goes into the duck pen and explains to her flock that "we have standards."
roll.png
lol.png
Sorry Amiga but that was funny, do you think they understand? about the standards?

I think that the "standards" are the problem. Clearly your established flock has standards that the newcomers aren't quite meeting. You may have a bunch of snobs on your hands.
big_smile.png

Next update from 10/16:

Big day today. We are not quite "there" yet, but this morning, with Einz in timeout, the rest of us took a walk together. Ahhh. Together. One flock. Oh, yes.
yesss.gif

The coffees helped me weed, then joined the runners in the kiwi garden, toured the Day Pen, and we all (including Einz) went on another walk...
big_smile.png

And then we went to the tea garden again, and then after room service was done, we all went on a walk through the woods. The baker's dozen. Bliss. Joy. Hope.
ya.gif

Of course, ducks will be ducks. After a peaceful two and a half hours after coming in for the night, Einz started yelling at Carmella. Oh, well. We are not there yet. But closer.

As I wrote earlier, I want to give a bit of a play-by-play here, so people who are new to introducktions can see that sometimes it is a bit of a grind. This is our second incorporation of adopted ducks into the flock. The first one reached this point - walks together - after two days. This has taken two weeks, and much more monitoring. Restful nights took longer to happen than daytime getting along. So it may be several weeks before the whole flock can share night space. So be it.

Thanks for all the support. I feel it.

Next update from 10/16:

Big day today. We are not quite "there" yet, but this morning, with Einz in timeout, the rest of us took a walk together. Ahhh. Together. One flock. Oh, yes.
yesss.gif

The coffees helped me weed, then joined the runners in the kiwi garden, toured the Day Pen, and we all (including Einz) went on another walk...
big_smile.png

And then we went to the tea garden again, and then after room service was done, we all went on a walk through the woods. The baker's dozen. Bliss. Joy. Hope.
ya.gif

Of course, ducks will be ducks. After a peaceful two and a half hours after coming in for the night, Einz started yelling at Carmella. Oh, well. We are not there yet. But closer.

As I wrote earlier, I want to give a bit of a play-by-play here, so people who are new to introducktions can see that sometimes it is a bit of a grind. This is our second incorporation of adopted ducks into the flock. The first one reached this point - walks together - after two days. This has taken two weeks, and much more monitoring. Restful nights took longer to happen than daytime getting along. So it may be several weeks before the whole flock can share night space. So be it.

Thanks for all the support. I feel it.
highfive.gif
good work on your part.

Back
Top Bottom