Welcome to the night shift

I have tree wraps that look like the ones you used, although I spent more for mine by buying them from Stark Bros. I had great hope that they would protect my young trees. And they did, for a while.

Last winter, there were a couple of deep snows that, when combined with endless prairie wind and ridiculous cold, created drifts so high that rabbits were able to climb on top of the snow to girdle the trees. This year, I may have to create a chicken wire barrier a few feet away from the trunks and attach netting to the tops.

It's a lot less work to buy apples, but no matter how many times I tell my stubborn streak to just give in, I somehow always believe that "next time" I will be able to grow apples.

Losing anything to pests is annoying, but losing fruit trees is the worst. You baby the darned things, literally for years in most cases, and are looking forward to the day when you get to pick your harvest. Then, something kills the tree and you have to start over again.

My dad taught me that fruit trees must be watered once a week during their first year. So, even when we have that occasional rain -- which rarely happened this year, another drought here -- I faithfully haul water out to all of my new trees. And, yet, I have only had ONE tree that lived long enough to produce apples; it was killed last winter.

Good luck with the berries (I think all four of my red raspberry bushes died this summer, and the blueberry bushes don't look too healthy either) and with finding your "exotic" trees.

Ten adults arriving tonight (Friday). Leaving very early Tuesday.
Plus up to seven visitors for one or two meals.

One is gluten and corn sensitive.
One can eat some gluten but avoids it; also sugar free.
One is sensitive to sulfites. And turkey and coconut or possibly to sulfites in the turkey and coconut.
Two do not eat pork. Well, at least two.
One had braces put on this week.
One needs extremely low sodium and extremely low potassium.

So.
I'm thinking breakfasts of:
grapefruit and oranges
waffles and ice cream (and strawberries) - some with gluten free mix
eggs, sauteed potatoes, toast
steel cut oats with dried fruit

Meals of:
Friday evening - mostly to have these as alternative options for any later meal
chili dogs (all beef hotdogs)
mashed potatoes (with saute onions)
Chili chicken spinach salad (can be a meal any day)

Saturday noon
lasagne with one pan made with zucchini slices in place of the noodles; and a small pan made with all salt free ingredients.
And greek salad.

Saturday evening
Beef pepper sort-of-stir-fry with rice
And spinach salad.

Sunday noon
Turkey dinner (turkey, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, gravy -from bone broth in the freezer, squash from the garden, green bean casserole, green veggie - probably broccoli or brussel sprouts) (the turkey sensitive one is visiting a different day).
salad

Sunday evening
leftovers, maybe hamburgers and hot dogs if leftovers look sparce.

Monday noon
Beef stew (ds offered to make)

Monday evening
same as Sunday evening.

Snacks:
veggie tray - peppers, peas, cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, cucumbers
olives
applesauce
chex mix
nuts
fresh fruit -apples, pears, bananas, grapefruit, orange
also home-canned peaches, maybe home frozen strawberries,

I am impressed with all of your planning and accommodation for everyone's dietary needs. I am also in awe of your ability to juggle so many visitors.

My sister left this morning. She had been here since Tuesday afternoon. We do fine together, and she would be happy with peanut butter sandwiches.

Best wishes with your holiday crowds!

I'm glad you had a good visit with your sister!!!

All of our visitors probably would be happy with just pb and j and the equivalent. Dh wants special, esp with how far they are coming. He will help with it, thankfully.

Well. Hello.
We got a kitten. Our older cat hates her.
The kitten escaped her pen, and got herself over to my bed, and proceeded to lay right down with the dogs. They were fine with the whole thing
Mom’s now trying to soothe the dogs to not bark.
Now we’re watching the process again, only the dogs scared her from the bed

I'm up now because the yowling cat woke up the dog who sleeps in the bed. She believes she must dig at the covers, like a rescue dog searching for a skier buried in snow, until she uncovers me. All the activity wakes up Dog No 2, and there's no sleeping then.

Hope your older cat learns to tolerate, if not like, the kitten.

I'm up now because the yowling cat woke up the dog who sleeps in the bed. She believes she must dig at the covers, like a rescue dog searching for a skier buried in snow, until she uncovers me. All the activity wakes up Dog No 2, and there's no sleeping then.

Hope your older cat learns to tolerate, if not like, the kitten.
I hope you can sleep well tonight

I am impressed...
I'm pretty happy with the plan; execution of it - not so much. I didn't allow for how frustrating it would be to cook out of boxes and in a strange kitchen. We rented a house for the weekend. It is about a half hour from ours, so close enough to go back and forth some but it is costly timewise.

Also, dh put his back out Friday morning. He wasn't sure he was getting off the floor under his own steam for the first hour or two. By the end of the day, he was semi-mobile with crutches and being careful. He still helped tremendously with cooking we needed to adjust plans quite a bit. He is going to be okay - by last night, he mostly just needing to not bend over or sit very long.

Anyway, everyone pitched in, no one has been hungry for long, and we are having a wonderful time together.

In case of curiosity, we ate a lot of chili, a lot of beef pepper over rice, a lot of waffles, some crackers and cheese, some rice chex (as cereal, not chex mix). Some fruit, some veggie tray with humus, a little greek salad. We might still have the beef stew.

Back
Top Bottom