Welded wire around bottom of coop

Lisa-Lu

Songster
Feb 14, 2019
Southwest Virginia
So we have laid/attached welded wire around the perimeter of our coop and run. We attached it to the bottom of the coop with zip ties, and there is about a 2" trim of it on the inside of the coop. My concern is my ladies getting their feet caught in it, what would be the best way to remove this obstacle yet keep the barrier? Would covering it with sand work? Large gravel? I am planning to cover the entire floor with wood shavings after we get this fixed.

So we have laid/attached welded wire around the perimeter of our coop and run. We attached it to the bottom of the coop with zip ties, and there is about a 2" trim of it on the inside of the coop. My concern is my ladies getting their feet caught in it, what would be the best way to remove this obstacle yet keep the barrier? Would covering it with sand work? Large gravel? I am planning to cover the entire floor with wood shavings after we get this fixed.

Welcome to BYC! I was worried about the wire when I built the run for my coop. I put 4 inches of dirt on top of the wire and packed it down. They have since roto tilled pretty much all of the dirt and there is exposed wire (1/2 inch hardware cloth) in some places but it doesn't seem to bother them. No signs of them catching their feet on it at all. I do throw down pine shavings and hay occasionally. That gets turned in with the dirt.

Thanks for the feedback Sarah. Not having my hens yet, I am not really aware I don't think of how much they are going to dig/plow in there. I am just terrified of them getting hurt because of something I did or didn't do.

Thanks for the feedback Sarah. Not having my hens yet, I am not really aware I don't think of how much they are going to dig/plow in there. I am just terrified of them getting hurt because of something I did or didn't do.

Relax, I felt the same way. However, I have learned that the cute little fuzzy chicks grow up into not so very delicate birds. I have RIR's and they are large and very sturdy little dinosaurs. I just ordered 4 Barred Rocks chicks. The folks at the feed store said they would be OK with my rowdy bunch. For your birds, just make sure the coop and run is predator proof and well ventilated. Good food and fresh water will keep your wee ones healthy and happy.:highfive:

Thank you, I am trying. I want Wyandottes so bad, but I have also looked at RIR's. Predator proof is our biggest concern as we live in the woods, over 60 acres. So hopefully this welded wire will do the trick, screens on all vents, locks on doors, etc. We are still on the hunt for started pullets in our area and not having any luck. It seems that coop-ready aren't available until April-May at least.

Back
Top Bottom