Well I hope to be leaving for Old Blighty next Monday...

greyfields

Crowing
12 Years
Mar 15, 2007
Washington State
... but I think I'll be pulling a week of all-nighters to get a project done.....

caf.gif

Are we talking about the concept called a vacation? One day you will have to tell me what they are all about and like.

Perfectly clear on the all-nighter concept though.

It's been 2-1/2 years since we've been. Back when I was a City dweller, we would go every year for 4-5 weeks and spend most the time at my inlaws. We'd explore, photograph, eat until we were sick, sleep-in and generally be over-spending fat & happy vacationers.

Now we have a farm. We'll be going for just 2 weeks. Even with that, I'm sure something will surely die, get out or get eaten while we're away. We'll also have just enough money to hopefully afford a trip or two to the chippy and will have enough petrol money to get to the shops and back once or twice. Also, all our clothes will be crap-stained and old.

Greyfields... are you an English bloke?

You headed across the pond?

I have a number of patients from England... one just brought his mum into see me and get her teeth fixed, the other is taking his family back home to Old Blighty for the Christmas Holiday.

First time I heard the term used I looked puzzled and he just laughed at me. I also heard my Ozzie Aunt use it a time or two.

Welcome back to old Blighty,

I also ask are you from the UK originally?

Lol.. don't worry about the clothes and lack of cash everyone is the same here. Bu the chippy will survive any credit crunch.

Jena.

Me mam is from Herefordshire and was born there during the war. She moved to the US as a girl, though, and I was born in Washington.

My wife is from North Yorkshire. We were married over there in 2000 and now have our American smallholding. I love it up North and someday we'll have a nice farm in the North Yorks Moors or maybe the Vale of York.

We still have a lot of family there in Herefordshire who I consider some of my best mates. It was meeting them which got me into smallholding.

To be honest, we always have so many pressies in our luggage that we forget to pack adequate clothes for ourselves. So, we end up at BH's or something scrambling for cold weather clothes. I'm probably the only bloke on the island with proper wooly jumpers from the Edinburgh Wooly Mill.
tongue.png

Woot, so your getting to come home!! Happy Happy holiday to you greyfields.....and if you get near Cheshire let me know and come and have a "Chip Butty" will PM you with my home number......I know your Inl Laws are in Yorkshire but its not aht far to come and see me is it?

We typically drive down past Brummie-Land into Worcestershire and Herefordshire to visit family. It always depends on the weather, though, and with such a short visit I'm not sure how much driving we'll get done. I mean, because there are very important things like meeting our mates at pub, dominating the locals at the pub quiz and overdosing on Indian food.

My wife's mum was born and raised in Huddersfield and still has the accent.

She's coming on Boxing Day to stay with us for a week or so... I love it when she's here!!

Back
Top Bottom