Well my lovely neighbors left me something updates and pics pg3

duck&chickencrazy

Songster
11 Years
Dec 2, 2008
Indiana
So our neighbors moved out a month or so ago and I guess they didnt take all of their animals with them. I noticed these two girls slowly making their way to my pen that has my 4 geese and 2 goats a few weeks ago and now they pretty much always stick with the geese. They are very wary of people and wont let me get close to them. Im not sure what is gonna happen when I move my 4 geese to my winter pen and these girls are left alone. I dont want them to die but I have no clue on how I should go about catching them. There is no way they will survive this winter if I cant catch them. I have 4 other chickens right now so 2 more shouldnt be a problem...so any advice on what I should do? Oh and does anyone know what kinda chickens they are? I know my waterfowl but when it comes to chickens I know the basics and thats it lol

Last edited:
Look like hatchery Golden Laced Wyandotte. As far as catching them, the only thing I can think is to see where they roost at night and get them after dark when they can't see. Offering some treats away from the geese may make them less afraid as they will quickly associate you with yummy food.
big_smile.png

All in all. not a bad surprise for you!

Look like hatchery Golden Laced Wyandotte. As far as catching them, the only thing I can think is to see where they roost at night and get them after dark when they can't see. Offering some treats away from the geese may make them less afraid as they will quickly associate you with yummy food.
big_smile.png

All in all. not a bad surprise for you!

x2. My golden laced wyandotte tried to jump into my lap today to get to the scratch i was bringing them. Chickens understand food!

Alright I think I'll try the grab and snatch while they are sleeping. I tried the treat thing and it didnt work. The only way I was able to get them close to take a picture was to throw some bread to them (you can see some on the ground in the 3rd pic) and even then they kept a watchful eye on me and avoided me. And I agree not a bad surprise for me!! But it just makes me sad that they would just leave their animals like this. These birds had to walk quite a ways to get to where they are now and I was honestly shocked that they lived this long!!

Last edited:
I don't like chasing shy chickens especially when they are able to get away so easily- makes them even more distrustful too. If there is a shed or some structure that they seem willing to enter for food or treats, try that... close the door when one or both are inside.

If you free range your chickens, would recommend not letting them out at all for couple weeks after the new ones go in. Make them settle in the coop completely and also to 're-orient' them to sleeping in the coop rather than go back to where they were sleeping now.

I agree, a real shame how some people will leave animals behind. Apparently it happens quite often.... dogs and cats left in the backyard or even inside the house or garage...

The good news is that your "lovely" neighbors are gone! Good riddance. Also good is that these birds seem pretty smart and tough. They knew where to go. Keep trying with the treats lure until they get to know you. I agree that it's better to trick them into a structure than net them. get them into some kind of routine. Chickens are such creatures of habit that I find them easy to train into a routine or pattern, especially if it involves food. Chickens pretty much live to eat.

Back
Top Bottom