Well, she is a rooster...

Ask your TSC where their chicks came from, and then check the hatchery site online, or call, and find out what breeds they have.
Mary
Not good timing on this either, as I have a friend watching them and my house for 2 weeks. SMH. Do I separate them now?

I'm in TN.
Boy, I don't know, too bad you will be gone during such a critical time in a delicate situation. Does your friend know how to handle and manage chickens?

Tell me that I am being impulsive and need to chill...
I may have found a hatchery in MTn with started pullets...12 weeks old. (Poultry Hollow). Found this by searching started pullets TN. (Love this forum already!)
I add 3 this weekend. Introduce them over the next before we leave.
Good or bad idea?
Advice for doing this asap and as easily as possible too?

Boy, I don't know, too bad you will be gone during such a critical time in a delicate situation. Does your friend know how to handle and manage chickens?

Oh, I know. Stressing a bit.
She doesn't, other than what I explained on Monday...

Adding birds will only add to the problem, integration is rarely fast or easy.
I suggest you keep the cockerel, the pullets, and the new pullets in 3 separate but adjacent enclosures while you are gone. Then tackle integration when you get back from vacation.

Adding birds will only add to the problem, integration is rarely fast or easy.
I suggest you keep the cockerel, the pullets, and the new pullets in 3 separate but adjacent enclosures while you are gone. Then tackle integration when you get back from vacation.

Pretty rooster either way. I got a buff Orpington in my last batch of Rangers from TSC.

TSC chickens are like a box of chocolates...
No Kidding! They gave me a "Buff Orphington" chick that was being picked on by the others, so they had to segregate it. I took it home and eventually integrated it with my small flock of chicks for that spring. Well, it didn't look like a buff to me and sure enough it grew up to be a Chanticleer (spelling?) Beautiful hen and laid well, but definitely NOT an Orphington.

I feel your pain. By the time you figure it out you have raised them and watched them grow. I'm trying every option. When the two boys physically fought the one and only time I was ready to throw in the towel. I had them in carriers and they were going to the rescue. Well the rescue couldn't take them until the 23rd. Well of course I e changed my mind. Now the crowing has become an issue. I have neighbors that I don't want upset. So now I'm trying the no crow collar. So far it has only worked slightly because I'm a wimp and don't want it in tight. So now I get up and make sure they are ok in the muddle of the night at least twice. They think I'm nuts.
I agree. I have 10 now that I have been able to fairly accurately sex. It looks like four of them are cockerels, and will need to be processed in the near future. I try not to pay too much attention to them since I know I won't be keeping them. I already have 2 roosters who are GREAT and I don't want to upset the apple cart by having a third, even though some of the chicks are beautiful. It's hard to think about processing them, though. I know once I do it, I should be a little more used to the idea, but right now, ugh!

Tell me that I am being impulsive and need to chill...
I may have found a hatchery in MTn with started pullets...12 weeks old. (Poultry Hollow). Found this by searching started pullets TN. (Love this forum already!)
I add 3 this weekend. Introduce them over the next before we leave.
Good or bad idea?
Advice for doing this asap and as easily as possible too?
Good!

I wanted to update everyone that commented. Thank you all, as well.
Smokey was great while we were gone! He is such a fine boy.
I am now working on finding him a few more gals.
I posted in the "what breed" section about him. I would like some input about that and what type of pullets I should add.
He has grown so much too...
20180711_074746.jpg

Back
Top Bottom