Well that freaked me out...!

Erin80

Songster
Apr 16, 2017
It's hot out today and the coop is quite warm despite all the doors being open (the coop is actually part of our shed which has a sliding glass patio door, and two garage doors...which are all open!). I went to check on my 3 week olds, and one of them was all wet and was flopping around on the ground. I whisked him away into the house and made up a laundry basket with woodchips, water and food....and brought in one of his buddies so he wouldn't be alone. He perked up immediately. I wasn't sure if he was getting picked on and beat up or if he was seriously over heated.
I went out to check the brooder and noticed they had spilled their water.....and that's when I figured out exactly what was going on. My chick was dust bathing, and the wood chips were wet....hence the wet chick flopping around. His buddy was dust bathing right near him, but those woodchips must have still been dry. Haha!! Oh well, they are having some quiet time in the house!

ha ha! I was convinced all my babies were having seizures the 1st time i saw them all in a big group flopping around in the dirt! I also noticed my young silkies all digging spots to lay in with the heat today. Guess i will will make a wet spot every evening for them to use the next day for cooling purposes.

It's hot out today and the coop is quite warm despite all the doors being open (the coop is actually part of our shed which has a sliding glass patio door, and two garage doors...which are all open!). I went to check on my 3 week olds, and one of them was all wet and was flopping around on the ground. I whisked him away into the house and made up a laundry basket with woodchips, water and food....and brought in one of his buddies so he wouldn't be alone. He perked up immediately. I wasn't sure if he was getting picked on and beat up or if he was seriously over heated.
I went out to check the brooder and noticed they had spilled their water.....and that's when I figured out exactly what was going on. My chick was dust bathing, and the wood chips were wet....hence the wet chick flopping around. His buddy was dust bathing right near him, but those woodchips must have still been dry. Haha!! Oh well, they are having some quiet time in the house!
This made me smile and giggle to myself. Add me to the list of folks that thought that their very first chicks were having seizures when they were practicing dust bathing.

I hope they enjoyed their indoor "spa time". :lau

Back
Top Bottom