"Well the eggs are dirty..."

sparkles2307

Terd of Hurtles
11 Years
Oct 23, 2008
Northwestern Minnesota
Yeah so these people I know got chickens so they could get eggs, which the birds have just recently started to lay. They are now feeding the eggs to the dogs because the eggs are dirty and they will start using them for personal consumption when the chickens start to lay clean eggs... um, I know that not all chickens lay eggs that are covered in filth but that it is pretty commong to get some, yucky stuff on the egg that just needs a little scurb to get off...I tried to tell them they are wasting eggs and that there will always be a little dirt on them no matter what (the hens wont lay in the boxes always on the dirt) so they better get used to it but they insist in their way....
barnie.gif

Maybe they could put down a little hay, or grass clippings where the hens like to lay. This might make their eggs a bit less dirty.

My eggs are mainly clean but occasionally one hen just decides to lay in some dirt. I have no idea why. The eggs are good, just need a wipe down.

Hey Sparkles,
Can you post a picture of your friends coop and nesting boxes? There must be some reason their hens are laying on the ground..it may be that the nesting boxes are placed in a bad spot, or too small, or something else that is causing the hens to lay on the floor. Sometimes the hens just don't get it too, you have to create a place for them to feel comfy when laying, boxes too small, too close to the ground, too open, may all keep them from wanting to lay eggs in them....
You can try making a cloth curtain over the fronts of the boxes, not a full one but a bit of cloth to hide behind.
If they can't turn around in the box that may be a factor. If they can't get to the boxes easily another factor....
Let us see what the setup is and maybe someone can figure out a plan.....
Are these the first chickens they have had?

Last edited:
I feed my dirty ones to the dogs, but only because I'm lazy and already get more than I can eat. Plus the dogs LOVE eggs.
big_smile.png

I do have a couple of banties that are low on the pecking order that sometimes can't get into the favored nest box. They will sometimes lay out in the run. I always figured they just couldn't hold it any longer.
smile.png
Nevermind that there are three identical nest boxes in the coop. We all have to lay in the same one. It's never the same one either. The favorite changes day by day. Silly chickens.

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif
And carrots.

Yeah! Think of all that wasted food. And there are people starving everywhere! VERY disappointing!
sad.png

ok kinda like this, my chickens started laying 5 days ago, we amde a huge deal about the first eggs and all. i told dh i ll cook them for dinner, he says NO! said i dont make good tasting eggs. well they were still ALL there last night, so i was bugging (aka nagging) why arent you eating the eggs??????? well guess why?

hes scared!
lau.gif

he thinks they ll taste funny, AND he thought they had to "settle" a few days first!
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif

So after i pick myself off the floor, i inform him that no theyre fine, i honestly dont even have to put them in the fridge, just figured theyre safer there.... SO, he made scrambled eggs last night, 3 white store eggs, ONE poor little fresh brown farm egg! (just in case its tastes funny, he said)
some people! lol

Back
Top Bottom