Welp Hatcheries

Lily Dean

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 16, 2010
I was interested in hearing what any of you have to say about Welp Hatchery out of Iowa. I am considering ordering from them next year since they allow orders smaller than 25 chicks and they also allow mixed orders. This year I ordered from Mt Healthy but we were looking into getting a mixed order with meat chickens, layers and some turkeys and show breeds for our next order.

Any thoughts or experiences about them would be great.

Thanks
Lily

I went in on an order with some neighbors in September. We had 47 chicks total, 12 of which I kept. Knock on wood, they are all healthy and doing great. They are almost 5 weeks now and are the friendliest chicks. I have Barred Rocks and Black Sexlinks. There's another post on here: "Is anyone else waiting for a chick order? CHICK PICS!!" The OP ordered from Welp also.

I just helped butcher 20 Cornish X meat birds from them today. Very impressed, will definitely order them again!

"RAREROO" got some layers last spring (?) from Welp and was very unhappy with their egg production qualities and so sold them. You can pm him to get the full scoop.
wink.png
I've heard similar stories from other people on BYC. Basicly, Welp has excellent meat chicks, but poor layers. I'm not sure about turkeys... I do know that if you want to show your birds you should get them from a breeder. Hatcheries are well known for having production birds, not show quality. Hope this helps!
wink.png

Thanks any reviews helps as this will only be my second order. Our first order was from Mt Healthy and we were happy with how the order arrived but within the first week we lost 10 of the 50 birds and no extra birds were included on our order.

The only real problem I have with Mt Healthy is that we don't want large quantities of birds We would like to do another order of Cornish X this spring but we wanted to add a few americaunas and about 10 turkeys to the order. Mt Healthy won't do less than 15 of each breed and won't do combos with Cornish X birds so I looked into Welp.

So far for those of you have ordered have your birds come healthy and is the customer service good with them?

Thanks for all your help
Lily

Quote:
Customer service was very good. We ordered 50 Cornish X males, and they sent 53, 2 DOA. They all survived past the chick stage. We lost one at 6.5 weeks due to rough handling from my younger brother. We didn't lose any to flip, heart attacks, or any of the other broiler "sicknesses."

What about Cackle? They have a minimum of 15 chicks, and minimums of 5 of each breed. Here's a link: http://www.cacklehatchery.com/ My neighbors got some of their Ameraucanas and they're each beautiful and unique! A lot of them have blue on them...
droolin.gif
I'm gonna be hatching some for myself next spring!
tongue.png

Thanks for the reference I will check them out as well. Right now I guess I am trying to learn as much as I possibly can from everyone on here since you all have years more experience than I do. It really helps to be able to come here to ask questions.

Lily

Soaring Chicks,

Your birds are beautiful! I can't wait until spring and then I think I will give Welp a try and see what they are like. My niece wants some Easter Egg chicks and so we are hoping to combine those in with our order of meat chickens and turkeys this year. I am very happy with Mt Healthy's customer service but I was disappointed by the fact that we lost 10 of the babied within the first week of receiving them and we did not receive any extras in our shipment to make up for possible losses. I am hoping our next order will go better.

Lily

Quote:
Thanks. They are the only ones I have left of them. They are for pure splash only with a great breeder line roo. That is what we did I got 10 from them to finish off the meat bird order.
Our first odrer of meat birds our post office left them out side (30* weather) and out of 70 only 22 lived. We called them and told them what happen and that we took pics and they replaced them with the next ship date they had with extras too. They were very nice people to work with.

Yeah Mt Healthy credited us with 10 birds for our next order but they won't send less than 25 because the birds would arrive dead due to being too cold. I would order from them again but I have heard that they have difficulties with their Easter Egg Chickens and have had complaints about not being able to send the right chicks for these birds. I want my niece to get the right birds since she is raising girls for eggs. Personally I don't think a Roo or two would be bad either since we don't have anything but girls right now.

Did your Chickens lay well after you got them?

Lily

Back
Top Bottom