Welsh Harlequin x Muscovy?

jsvand5

Songster
14 Years
Jul 7, 2009
Ocala, FL
Would a Welsh Harlequin drake be able to mate with a muscovy duck? I am picking up a pair of welsh harlequins this weekend and am considering adding a muscovy as well. Honestly, I am not a huge fan of the way the muscovy's look, but I wanted to pick one up in case the Welsh harlequin female ends up being too loud for my neighbors. I am mainly looking for eating eggs, but I would like to hatch out a few every once in a while as well. Thanks for any info.

Oh ok I didnt know thanks for the info sorry bout my wrong info
hu.gif
Ive never crossed so never found out!

Last edited:
~SunSetsWest~ :

Any duck (other than another muscovy)bred to a muscovy will produce sterile offspring, like horses bred to donkey's will make a mule, unable to reproduce

Interesting. Would the offspring produce infertile eggs or no eggs at all?​

Quote:
I noticed from other posts that you have Welsh Harlequins. Do you think one female will cause a problem with the neighbors? I am in a subdivision with about 1/3 acre lots. I do have a privacy fence so they won't be able to see them, but that obviously won't help with the noise. I was originally going to go with a trio, but was worried two females would make the noise worse.

JSV, I have a small lot and I have 6 ducks. Three of them are welsh harlequins. The loudest duck I ever had was a buff. I sold her she was so loud. The Welsh Harlequins can be a little noisy, but it is usually only when they get excited. My neighbor's dogs howling when the train goes by is STILL way louder than my girls.

My quietest duck is my runner.

I don't think it is fair to a duck to only have one. They are flock creatures and need a buddy. Pekins, calls and buffs are too loud for a small lot with neighbors, but you should be OK with other breeds. Come to think of it, my khakis weren't that loud either.

Back
Top Bottom