Welsh Harlequin

I two questions what do a male and female welsh harlequin ducks look like I need to know for 4-h and my major 2nd question is I have 2welsh harlequin ducks ,2 black Swedish ducks those 4 ducks are roughly 2-3 months old then I have 3-4 week old Peking ducks so my questions is when they are all old enough to breed will they breed with the different breeds?

I two questions what do a male and female welsh harlequin ducks look like I need to know for 4-h and my major 2nd question is I have 2welsh harlequin ducks ,2 black Swedish ducks those 4 ducks are roughly 2-3 months old then I have 3-4 week old Peking ducks so my questions is when they are all old enough to breed will they breed with the different breeds?

Metzer farms has good pictures of WH duck and drake
Not sure what age they start breeding.
They will breed with whoever regardless of what they look like, so any babies would be crosses unless you separate them into same breed groups.
Hope that helps :)

MY DUCKS ARE HERE!!!!!! Pretty sure they're both silver phase. One has a green tie around its leg, and one has purple. Which one is the male and female?? I'm assuming green is boy and purple is girl, but I just wanna make sure. They were born Monday. They look healthy and happy, I'm so excited to have them :)

MY DUCKS ARE HERE!!!!!! Pretty sure they're both silver phase. One has a green tie around its leg, and one has purple. Which one is the male and female?? I'm assuming green is boy and purple is girl, but I just wanna make sure. They were born Monday. They look healthy and happy, I'm so excited to have them :)
it should say which is which on the website where you bought them.

This really cracked me up welsh Harlequins aren't rare . ( wait are they ) anyway this person is asking way! Too much for the ducks and geese .

Actually, according to the American Livestock Breeds Conservancy, Welsh Harlequin ducks are currently considered in "Critical" status for 2014...in other words, very much in danger of the breed going extinct.

"Critical: Fewer than 500 breeding birds in the United States, with five or fewer primary breeding flocks (50 birds or more), and
estimated global population less than 1,000."

In my neck of the woods, $30 is a fair price for a nice breeding pair of young WHs...and just run of the mill laying hens are going for $10-$12 each.

Ohh really they're everywhere around here there was like 6 other farmers selling welsh harqulins for sale on the framers bulletin , that's why I was like 'really you want people to pay 15 dollars for one ' .

Actually, according to the American Livestock Breeds Conservancy, Welsh Harlequin ducks are currently considered in "Critical" status for 2014...in other words, very much in danger of the breed going extinct. 

"Critical: Fewer than 500 breeding birds in the United States, with five or fewer primary breeding flocks (50 birds or more), and
estimated global population less than 1,000."

In my neck of the woods, $30 is a fair price for a nice breeding pair of young WHs...and just run of the mill laying hens are going for $10-$12 each.
I paid $65 for my silver SQ welsh harlequins. I am going to breed them when they grow, and to set up a deal with our local feed store, so I can sell the ducklings there.

I paid $65 for my silver SQ welsh harlequins.
I can believe it. When I was into breeding and showing rabbits, I paid over $100 for a little buck to improve my lines. While I could have picked up a similar sized and colour buck for $5 at the local swap meet, what I paid for that buck was money well spent. Just because you can pick up a WH (or anything else for that matter) for a few dollars, doesn't mean it's breeding quality. But then, it doesn't mean it's not either. Every great once in a while one finds a rose among the thorns....just have to know what to look for.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom