Welsummer bantam sitting on duck eggs

It is now day 14 underneath my bantam Jemima. I candles 2 duck eggs and I could see veins and a little black shape jumping around inside - hoping this is a good sign! I bought these ducks eggs from Waitrose supermarket as I have read on the internet about other people hatching them. Bought them to make a cake and thought I would just pop them under my broody girl and hey presto!

Looks like we may be getting 2 Braddock Whites soon fingers crossed!

Attachments

• shopping.png
    shopping.png
    93.4 KB · Views: 12
After speaking to my father who hatched lots of chicken eggs in his day, he has told me to put the egg back in the nest, so I have and Jemima went straight pack in, she tapped the egg a couple of times and then shuffled about a bit and settled down. Bit worried about why she pecked the egg, but I think egg is in the best place. What a night I have had!
Just keep an eye on her from a distance. Hopefully soon there will be a duckling. I'd still have a brooder ready, you just never know.

Don't question a bird that is literally bred to raise young birds. Relax and let nature take it's course. if you keep meddling this much YOU could be the one that causes issues.

Aaron
I can say from experience not every chicken, duck etc has that bred into them.

Yes yawning means she is still absorbing. Sounds like she is moving along nicely.

This is important that mama hen keeps humidity up under her so try not to take the egg out much .
Outside air? What was it breathing before it put the hole in the egg? It had to be getting oxygen from somewhere I'd imagine.

Aaron
Your suppose to be funny right? they have around 24 hr of oxygen after internal pip. So when they external pip they have outside oxygen which means they can breathe outside air now while working on opening that shell.

the yawning is it absorbing the yolk so that's normal. I wouldn't mess with it. If you are worried about the membrane drying out you can put coconut oil on it but like @Miss Lydia said, don't take it out from under her too much because they need the humidity which keeps the membrane supple. I read what she told you to do and what she's done in the past. I would go with what she said.

Just as a disclaimer, I have no experience with natural hatching @Miss Lydia has lots!

Back
Top Bottom