Welsummer bantam sitting on duck eggs

Try a small styrofoam cooler perhaps or some kind of a box that has a bit of insulation to keep the heat and humidity in. Put a light bulb in it. Like a gooseneck desk lamp maybe so it's not touching the styrofoam. We don't want a meltdown or fire. I only say styrofoam because it's a good insulator. You could probably use a box or regular igloo cooler too.

Put a little bowl of water in the box/cooler to get the humidity up. the more surface area of the water bowl the better. It's not the deepness of the water it's the surface area that makes the most humidity. It should be at 70% if you've got a humidity gauge.

You'll have to cover the box/cooler with something to keep the heat and humidity inside. Maybe some plastic but it still has to have ventilation?

Keep a close eye on it because you don't want the duckling to hatch while your asleep and then drown in the humidity bowl of water. I never leave my ducklings in the incubator long after they hatch. As soon as they are separated from the shell completely I put them in the brooder.

It will be alone so have a mirror and maybe a little stuffed animal for it to cuddle with so it won't be lonely. Best of luck!

I have put the egg inside an insulated lunch bag and wrapped the egg in a warm sock of rice. Also out a dish of water in there. I will cover the top.

Attachments

• 20210612_101619.jpg
    20210612_101619.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 5
After speaking to my father who hatched lots of chicken eggs in his day, he has told me to put the egg back in the nest, so I have and Jemima went straight pack in, she tapped the egg a couple of times and then shuffled about a bit and settled down. Bit worried about why she pecked the egg, but I think egg is in the best place. What a night I have had!

Back
Top Bottom