Welsummer bantam sitting on duck eggs

When do you think I should check it again :D
Well that I have no idea if just peeking then every couple hrs. I wouldn't be taking the egg out and examining it that drops the humidity down. Hopefully you won't have to intervene but if you do we have some really good helpers here.

the yawning is it absorbing the yolk so that's normal. I wouldn't mess with it. If you are worried about the membrane drying out you can put coconut oil on it but like @Miss Lydia said, don't take it out from under her too much because they need the humidity which keeps the membrane supple. I read what she told you to do and what she's done in the past. I would go with what she said.

Just as a disclaimer, I have no experience with natural hatching @Miss Lydia has lots!

Thanks for the tags @Miss Lydia !
So sorry I haven’t replied. I’ve been super busy lately.

OP:
I see you have gotten some great advice!
It sounds like things are progressing well for this duckling. Sorry you lost the other one. I agree with @DuckyDonna and @Miss Lydia that I wouldn’t remove the egg too often. When my Cami was hatching ducklings I would check every couple of hours, but it’s really up to you. If it is yawning then in my experience it still has yolk to absorb. It sounds to be progressing normally so I really hope things work out!

Hopefully you won’t have to intervene but if you do I suggest reading this article first:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

Baby Honey has arrived. I am totally thrilled 😃. Sorry the pics are not too clear, but Jemima pecked my husband to death to get these photos!

Attachments

• 20210613_175222.jpg
    20210613_175222.jpg
    326.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 20210613_175227.jpg
    20210613_175227.jpg
    401 KB · Views: 4
  • 20210613_175229.jpg
    20210613_175229.jpg
    372.1 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom