Welsummer hen × Olive Egger Roo

Aleelupton

Songster
Jul 3, 2018
Warren, Ohio
I wasn't sure where to post this thread, but has anyone ever made this cross? What was the outcome of the egg color produced? I have a welsummer hen and a Olive egger roo that is a 1st generation cross between a Blue Ameraucana and a Black Copper Marans. I was hoping to hatch some of my wlesummers eggs to see what I would get. I also have an Easter Egger hen who lays green eggs and is also in with the Olive Egger roo. What would the outcome of this two be?

I believe I Have an EASTER EGGER x welsummer, I got her from a farm... she has welsummer looks and colors, a pea comb but a single comb as if they were mixed, her eggs are light brown. She is real tame and let’s you snuggle with her.
Her name is Boom Chicka POP (Boomy for short)

*shes the middle one*
1105131B-BB63-41E0-8FDB-AB78710A6E50.jpeg

B7207E84-A8B4-483F-8FF8-A952B566F112.jpeg
848729E8-7854-4A83-BE26-A6D9A3698808.jpeg

So I’ve never done this personally but there was a lady that did this a long time ago. Hers came out with a pea comb, the welsummers color pattern and big muffs. She also described her eggs as a very deep olive color. Americaunas have a lot of different color patterns pop out and who knows what patterns will pop out. Let me know what you get though!
It's definitely the cross I'm most excited for!

So I’ve never done this personally but there was a lady that did this a long time ago. Hers came out with a pea comb, the welsummers color pattern and big muffs. She also described her eggs as a very deep olive color. Americaunas have a lot of different color patterns pop out and who knows what patterns will pop out. Let me know what you get though!

Awesome! I have two broodies so I'm going to give them a few of each color to hatch. Do you know if any of my other hens would make good crosses with my roo? They are: Barred Plymouth Rock, Blue Ameraucana, Lavender Orpington, Speckled Sussex, Silver Laced Wyandotte, and Blue Splash Marans. I also have a few pullets that haven't started laying yet, but they are Blue Laced Red Wyandotte, another first generation Oliver Egger (Welsummer × Cream Legbar), Austra White, and Black Copper Marans.
DO THE LAVENDER

I'd do the blue ameraucana because of the blue egg genes. That would give you all green eggers.
With the marans just for the darker brown egg genes. Giving you 50/50 dark green/dark brown eggers.
Maybe with the barred rock. Which would be 50/50 green egg/brown egg but they would be sex linked so males would have head spot and feather barred. Females no head spot or barring.

With the welsummer cross you have a 50/50 chance of offspring laying dark green or dark brown eggs.
With the EE cross 75/25 of laying green eggs/brown eggs.
Awesome! I have two broodies so I'm going to give them a few of each color to hatch. Do you know if any of my other hens would make good crosses with my roo? They are: Barred Plymouth Rock, Blue Ameraucana, Lavender Orpington, Speckled Sussex, Silver Laced Wyandotte, and Blue Splash Marans. I also have a few pullets that haven't started laying yet, but they are Blue Laced Red Wyandotte, another first generation Oliver Egger (Welsummer × Cream Legbar), Austra White, and Black Copper Marans.

I'd do the blue ameraucana because of the blue egg genes. That would give you all green eggers.
With the marans just for the darker brown egg genes. Giving you 50/50 dark green/dark brown eggers.
Maybe with the barred rock. Which would be 50/50 green egg/brown egg but they would be sex linked so males would have head spot and feather barred. Females no head spot or barring.
Wow, I didnt know that! I will definitely have to hatch a few from each hen!

Back
Top Bottom