Welsummer not able to move

Chive

Poultry Enthusiast
Jul 20, 2023
Vermont
My aunt contacted me this morning and said that one of her chickens was drooping its wing yesterday. She said it wasn’t hot, which is what came to my mind first. She just contacted me again right now and said that she found the chicken in the coop not able to move. It can’t move at all.
What are your thoughts on this?
I had a few chickens and ducks that this happened to. Some of them had the avian influenza and the others I never found out what was wrong. Some of them didn’t make it but others recovered.
What do you all think?
Here are some pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_5395.jpeg
    IMG_5395.jpeg
    695.7 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_5397.jpeg
    IMG_5397.jpeg
    599.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5396.jpeg
    IMG_5396.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5399.png
    IMG_5399.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5400.jpeg
    IMG_5400.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 14
What's her diet?
If you put your finger between her toes will she grip onto them? Can she move her toes at all?
Are any other chicken acting off in any way?

I would give her vitamin E 400IU and 1/3 of a B Complex tablet and give that daily. Also give her some eggs for selenium to help her absorb more vitamin E.

My aunt contacted me this morning and said that one of her chickens was drooping its wing yesterday. She said it wasn’t hot, which is what came to my mind first. She just contacted me again right now and said that she found the chicken in the coop not able to move. It can’t move at all.
What are your thoughts on this?
I had a few chickens and ducks that this happened to. Some of them had the avian influenza and the others I never found out what was wrong. Some of them didn’t make it but others recovered.
What do you all think?
Here are some pictures.
How old is she?
What is fed, including treats?
Was she vaccinated for Marek's?
When was her last egg?

Marek's disease comes to mind since this is progressing, but ask if she's perhaps eaten any moldy feed, something toxic or been in a compost pile.

I'd move her to her own space like a kennel, do keep her hydrated and eating if possible.
The vitamins as suggested are a good idea.

You had Avian Flu in your flock? Avian Flu is a very serious and contagious disease and usually the authorities will come and cull all birds on your property to help stop the spread. Perhaps you have the name of the illness mixed up with something else?

How old is she?
What is fed, including treats?
Was she vaccinated for Marek's?
When was her last egg?

Marek's disease comes to mind since this is progressing, but ask if she's perhaps eaten any moldy feed, something toxic or been in a compost pile.

I'd move her to her own space like a kennel, do keep her hydrated and eating if possible.
The vitamins as suggested are a good idea.

You had Avian Flu in your flock? Avian Flu is a very serious and contagious disease and usually the authorities will come and cull all birds on your property to help stop the spread. Perhaps you have the name of the illness mixed up with something else?
We never got the birds tested, so it might have been something else. But a lot of the symptoms they had pointed to the Avian Flu. I separated them very early from the rest of the flock, and all the ones I separated wound up dying.

Thank you so much! I will contact my aunt to ask her more questions and give her some information.

What's her diet?
If you put your finger between her toes will she grip onto them? Can she move her toes at all?
Are any other chicken acting off in any way?

I would give her vitamin E 400IU and 1/3 of a B Complex tablet and give that daily. Also give her some eggs for selenium to help her absorb more vitamin E.
Thank you! I will ask my aunt the questions and send her a list of what to do.

She said that the Welsummer is the only one that is acting off. She is trying to figure out if the Welsummer was vaccinated for Mareks. The Welsummer is about 11 weeks old, so not laying eggs yet. She said she has been feeding her chickens purina chick feed and veggie scraps and occasionally mealworms for treats. She is going to pick up more feed today and will also get the supplements.
She also gave me an update this morning and said that the Welsummer is still alive. She has been feeding her some egg yolk and some nutri-drench. She drank some water last night and pooped. The Welsummers comb has a good color and is she is perky.
She did move the Welsummer to her own little space yesterday.

Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it!

Attachments

• IMG_7330.jpeg
    IMG_7330.jpeg
    768.6 KB · Views: 11
Can you get her to take some photos of her poop?

She's 11weeks old, so it's possible she may be dealing with Marek's at that age.

See that the feed is fresh (sometimes feed stores have old feed which is not good). Try the vitamins and see how that goes.

Can you get her to take some photos of her poop?

She's 11weeks old, so it's possible she may be dealing with Marek's at that age.

See that the feed is fresh (sometimes feed stores have old feed which is not good). Try the vitamins and see how that goes.
My aunt said that the Welsummers poop was normal yesterday but is runny today, which she thought it might just be from the egg yolk. She said that she would take a picture when she gets home.

Hi all! I am the aunt with the Welsummer 😁. She is doing so much better today. She can stand and is taking some steps. I have been giving her egg yolk with nutri-drench along with her regular crumbles. I also put some electrolytes in her water and gave her some vitamin B as suggested. I am keeping her separated until she is 100% as she is the bottom of the pecking order. Her poop was solid and normal today as well. I honestly have no idea what happened with her but I am thankful she is doing better. The weather has been a bit crazy here, we had a bad rainstorm/thunderstorm the night before she started drooping her wings. They all like to sleep at the top of their ramp and I thought maybe she had been pushed out and had been injured.
I’ll keep you updated and again appreciate all your advice!

Hi all! I am the aunt with the Welsummer 😁. She is doing so much better today. She can stand and is taking some steps. I have been giving her egg yolk with nutri-drench along with her regular crumbles. I also put some electrolytes in her water and gave her some vitamin B as suggested. I am keeping her separated until she is 100% as she is the bottom of the pecking order. Her poop was solid and normal today as well. I honestly have no idea what happened with her but I am thankful she is doing better. The weather has been a bit crazy here, we had a bad rainstorm/thunderstorm the night before she started drooping her wings. They all like to sleep at the top of their ramp and I thought maybe she had been pushed out and had been injured.
I’ll keep you updated and again appreciate all your advice!
Glad to hear she's improving.
Sounds like you are doing everything to get her back on her feet, please do let us know how she's getting along.

Back
Top Bottom