welsummer roo?

Spaniel Hen

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 2, 2009
I mistakenly posted to the wrong forum, so I will repost here. Sorry.

My welsummer is 5 months old but doesn't have any rooster feathers yet, so now I'm not sure if he's a roo. His legs are thicker than the hens, and his coloring is more red. As a chick, the V on top of his head was different from the others. He looks very intense in this photo, but he's very nice. Any ideas?!

Happy Chooks

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Jul 9, 2009
Northern CA
My Coop
My Coop
It doesn't have any rooster feathers.................because it's a pullet. Only pullets get salmon chests.

This is my rooster, Moose, at 6 months old.

Last edited:

Spaniel Hen

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 2, 2009
Here's a side photo showing him with the rest of the flock. The hen behind him to the left is a roadie, and the hen to the right is a welsummer.

Spaniel Hen

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 2, 2009
Wow! Your Moose is gorgeous. Absolutely striking! Thanks for letting me know. But now I'm *so* disappointed. Rats! Plus, I need to rename her. Promethius just won't work for a hen!

donrae

Hopelessly Addicted
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Jun 18, 2010
Southern Oregon
I agree it's a pullet but it really doesn't look like a Welsummer. Check out those white earlobes! The color is off, also. I'm not sure what she is, looks mixed to me.

nakstk

Songster
8 Years
Sep 19, 2011
Kalama, Washington
I was thinking the same thing. But she is definitely a she at POL. Brown leghorn's have the white ear lobes. They look similar.

Now that I looked at the pic blown up its just light feathers not the ear lobes.

Last edited:

Top Bottom