Welsummer with heavy bloom pale eggs ??

Texas Transplant

Songster
Mar 1, 2020
Oregon
I have a Welsummer pullet (hatched April 13th '20) that has been laying for 2 weeks. She eats high quality organic feed, free choice oyster shell and lots of fresh dark greens, veggies and fruit. Her eggs have a HEAVY bloom and more often than not, appear pink. If I wipe them clean they are still super light for a Welsummer but, does have teeny tiny speckles across the surface. The shells of her eggs are strong and the yolks are an average color and size. Has anyone ever seen such pale Welsummer eggs? Yes, she is purebred & she is from Meyer hatchery. The darker egg in the photos is from a hatchery BCM (wasn't expecting a spectacularly dark egg from her). Picture of pullets is about a 1 1/2 weeks before she started laying.
Leonora and Winnie pullet eggs.jpg
Leonora and Winnie pullet eggs2.jpg
Vera Leonora and Winifred.jpg

Last edited:
Seconding the light color eggs being an issue with hatchery stock.

She'll probably be a bit more prolific than a breeder bird, but will lay lighter eggs as the trade-off. I have a hatchery marans who frequently has heavy blooms and lighter eggs, and its actually nice to get the plum/pink colors in the basket. It's a nice little quirk!

My neighbor’s Welsummer lays an egg similar to yours. In fact, I assumed all the brown eggs I collect from his flock were from his many Isa Browns, until I saw the Welsummer (who I didn’t think was laying anymore) lay an egg!

for what that is worth! And, there are no speckles on her eggs. I have a Mystic Marans who just started laying what I thought would be a more “Welsummery” egg - speckled! I just posted a picture on a thread about it.

My neighbor’s Welsummer lays an egg similar to yours. In fact, I assumed all the brown eggs I collect from his flock were from his many Isa Browns, until I saw the Welsummer (who I didn’t think was laying anymore) lay an egg!

for what that is worth! And, there are no speckles on her eggs. I have a Mystic Marans who just started laying what I thought would be a more “Welsummery” egg - speckled! I just posted a picture on a thread about it.
I've gotten Welsummers from a different hatchery that had speckled eggs and was disappointed with the current girl's egg but, her personality makes up for the egg color and feathering (not a fan of red birds but, love Welsummer eggs).

Any and all ideas would be appreciated :)
Hope your girls eggs have gotten larger and evenly colored by now. My 2 that are laying (born July 29 ish) have only been for a few weeks. Here's what they look like this week. Seems they don't all color the same. I bought mine from the supplier to TSC. Hoover's, I believe. One of my girls is not laying yet, hopefully soon. They are rated at 4 eggs per week.

Attachments

• 20210312_204530.jpg
    20210312_204530.jpg
    675 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom