Welsummers who has them?

Quote:
Where can I find the "maran egg color chart"??

I found a small hatchery/farm that has Marans, Welsummers, and Ameracaunas -- all of which I'm interested in -- and they select specifically for egg color and lay rate. Unfortunately, they only sell straight run chicks, and I'm not willing to deal with all the extra roosters. On the surface, though, it looks like a good operation -- http://www.whitmorefarm.com .

Christie, your birds and eggs are beautiful.
When will you have some for sale?

Lori, your roo is wow nice.

flying, your birds are beautiful when will you have eggs?

buckguy, when will you have eggs and you are close will you have chick any time for sale?

speckledhen, I can't wait to see pictures of your newly hatched babies.

Thank you all

Ok, I'm going to throw this out there. I have been hatching my Welsummer eggs and have 9 chicks right now and more due to hatch Sunday that I will sell if anyone in, or willing to travel to my area to pick them up.....

Sly

Hi,
I'm expecting some eggs from Christie in less than 2 weeks. You guys are not making the waiting go any faster!
jumpy.gif
can't wait, can't wait!
Terry

Thanks for the Welsummer information! I just got a shipment from ebay - and if they dont work out, I am really really hoping I can find another source, maybe closer to Northern California! Expecting these to hatch, if they do, around May 2 or so....
My question for people with Welsummer egg experience - do their eggs ever have texture differences on their shells - many of these shells seemed really dry - almost as if they'd been incubated already (am I being suspicious?), and there is a rougher surface on them...the color on several is washed out, and they're not as smooth as the others....also the seller initially forgot to ship my purchase, and had to get them together quickly after offering me a refund, I declined and asked for the eggs, so I'm wondering if some of these were "filler" and if they're likely to be bad? I wish I had more experience here? Any ideas?

I know that Welsummer eggs are supposed to have a matte surface while Marans are supposed to have a shiny surface, so maybe that's the difference you're seeing?

Actually, I have Marans - and I can see the difference in the shell color/sheen - the Welsummers I got in the mail are not all the same even amongst themselves - a couple really have an almost whitish look, like a deposit on them, on half of the shell? I may post a pic...it's so hard to describe - oh, and I candled them, easily, and they appear clear...my marans are so hard to candle? Their surface is rough feeling too - I'm just a bit worried about messing up my hatch/other eggs, so I put the most questionable ones in a separate incubator and I'll hand turn, etc.....if anything I just want to check for fertility to see if I'm right? Appreciate any input, thanks.

Welsummereggs006.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom