Went chick crazy at TSC - need help sexing! BR, SS, FCM(?)

So it's been almost 2 weeks and the chicks are going through that awkward feathering stage. It reminds me of when young kids start losing their teeth lol I took moved them to a 4x4 brooder box I made and they love the extra space. Took a couple pics today while they were outside but couldn't do individual pics. I added 4 more chicks too. Feedback I've received is that the Reds look like pullets. Still unsure if NH, Production, or RI. Off the Barred Rocks and alleged Marans I'm pretty sure 2 are cockrels and have 2 others I'm leaning that way on. Here are some new group pics.
20180913_164034.jpg
20180913_161148.jpg
20180913_164140.jpg

Ok, I waited a few more weeks. I think they are 6 weeks. I am sure that I have 3 cockrels but this one has got me stumped (top pics). The comb says cockrel but the legs say pullet. Thought? There are pics of some of the others as comparison.
20181007_091430.jpg
20181007_091421.jpg
20181007_091347.jpg
20181007_091401.jpg
20181007_091321.jpg

First 2 photos I'll say Cockerel for now. Boys can have the dark wash too, mine did when he was younger.
Third photo 2 Cockerels , 1 Pullet.
Fourth photo 1 Cockerel, 4 Pullets.
Fifth photo 1 Cockerel, 1 Pullet.

At least for now LOL

First 2 photos I'll say Cockerel for now. Boys can have the dark wash too, mine did when he was younger.

Thank you! I need to band them to tell some of them apart. There are 12 and only 2 are reds. They're getting quite friendly, though with the boys I am mostly watching and testing them to see who is going to stay.

Thank you! I need to band them to tell some of them apart. There are 12 and only 2 are reds. They're getting quite friendly, though with the boys I am mostly watching and testing them to see who is going to stay.
At 6weeks, it would be hard to tell what their personality is going to be like as they mature.

Don't burst my bubble!! LOL Honestly I'm expecting them to be gone one day when I get home - my pops has been eyeing them, counting down the days til he can invite them to dinner:eek:

Don't burst my bubble!! LOL Honestly I'm expecting them to be gone one day when I get home - my pops has been eyeing them, counting down the days til he can invite them to dinner:eek:
Some people do raise BR for meat, so that's an option.
You could always pick the one you like best, keep him and if he doesn't work out, you could process him later.

I think that's going to be my plan. I want him to hold off until I can get a sense of who will be the problem boys so they can go first. One has already caught gotten - I think he's a little insane.

Back
Top Bottom