went out for there first outing today .

bahamas

Songster
10 Years
Jan 16, 2010
well after the rain stopped and the ground was littered with dew the chicks were screaming out and i took them in y hand and put them on the lawn and watched them. They were running around pecking at grass and eating small bugs . sooo cute. Then i took them to another part of the vast vast yard, Not that vast to me though. into my organic garden. i just tilled and turned under and planted a row of corn see yester day and they were walking around and pecking and stuff and doing they-re thing having a time of their lives. Then onto the fertile plains o the land under the mulberry tree. where there are thousands of fallen mulberries which are they-re favorite snack they at and ate. Then to the last stop.. to the rocky plans where the soil had lots of rocks and a few plants they still managed to have fun Then into the coop they went. They were so cute. i wish i could take pictures but the cam. doesn't work .

What was you chicks first outing like ?

The very first outing I took my chicks on was pretty cool for all of us. They were about a week old, and it was 90 degrees outside. I had to turn the compost pile, so I spread out a tarp, put the chickens close by, and got to turning it. They very quickly found all the ants and bugs that were in the compost, and I almost had to stop because they kept getting in the post I was shoveling. I had my little housedog out with us, and she ended up being my chicken herder. She watched me move them several times. She then started to go behind them and nudge their behinds to keep them away from the task at hand. They ended up in particularly seedy/grassy area and happily pecked away at the grass. I had them out for a couple of hours. I was very impressed with my little dog's skills at chicken-herding. She is a yorkie/chihuahua mix who just had her first birthday, so I have to watch her pretty close with them because she wants to play with them when they start pecking at her whiskers. Pretty soon, they will be bigger than she is. They are now 5 weeks old and getting close to being outside full time.

Back
Top Bottom