Went to my chicken coop in the morning and saw my favourite hen stone dead... Please help

HozChicken

In the Brooder
Jan 26, 2020
Sweden
So last week one of my hens started shaking her head and had seizures. It looked like she wanted to clear something out of her throat. She did this several times a day. She had gotten a bit better but now in the morning I opened the door to her coop and I realized she did not come out. I looked inside of the coop I saw her stone dead...Now today I also saw her friend displaying the same symptoms. I did some research and people say it could be gapeworms. I bought some de-worming medicine. Her sister is now getting it. Any idea what type of disease this is? I feel so bad losing my hen...

83155251_1528964040588934_6307198657162641408_n.jpg

Attachments

• 83155251_1528964040588934_6307198657162641408_n.jpg
    83155251_1528964040588934_6307198657162641408_n.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 1
There are so many possibilities, and so many questions that would have to be answered. Honestly it would be best to have the one that is currently showing symptoms necropsied if she passes. That is the best way to know what is going on, particularly since you have more than one bird with similar symptoms. If you have and can post a video to youtube and put the link here, of the head shaking/seizures it might help someone to give suggestions.
How old are these birds? How long have you had them? What do you feed, including treats? Has anything in their environment changed recently, new bedding, construction materials, paint, chemicals of any kind, etc? Do they free range?

There are so many possibilities, and so many questions that would have to be answered. Honestly it would be best to have the one that is currently showing symptoms necropsied if she passes. That is the best way to know what is going on, particularly since you have more than one bird with similar symptoms. If you have and can post a video to youtube and put the link here, of the head shaking/seizures it might help someone to give suggestions.
How old are these birds? How long have you had them? What do you feed, including treats? Has anything in their environment changed recently, new bedding, construction materials, paint, chemicals of any kind, etc? Do they free range?
Thanks for replying.

1. They are 17 months old
2. They are favarolle breed
2. I give them rice, watermelon, cooked spaghetti, ordinary birdfood, bread, bulgur etc
3. They are free range. They roam freely in my garden all day.
4. No changes in their environment.
5. A lot of wild birds come to my garden.
6. They look very healthy despite the seizures. They eat a lot and are very active.
7. The newly infected one sneezes a lot.

Curious, @HozChicken
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
1580081697800.png

I would try to find a feed that is made for chickens or poultry. The protein content should be between 16 and 18 percent, and it provides the vitamins and minerals to help maintain good health, which with chickens can be very important. I'm just wondering if you may have some deficiencies contributing to your issues. I don't see anything obvious in the video, she just appears to be picking at her neck or chin feathers. Have you checked them over for lice/mites? Have they had any discharge from the beak, nares or eyes? Any wheezing, coughing or sneezing?
https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/Have they been laying for you? You don't mention calcium or oyster shell, which also needs to be provided for them. They need the calcium for making egg shells, and it's generally best to have it available in a separate feeder all the time so that they can take what they need. Some feeds for laying hens contain extra calcium, many prefer to offer it separately to allow for variations in each individual birds needs. Also poultry grit, which is usually crushed granite, which they need for digestion. Without adequate grit they can have impactions in the digestive tract, which can lead to death. Some environments have enough small stones in it that they find it, but most prefer to have it available in a dish so it's there if they need it.

Back
Top Bottom