Went to TSC *about the 6 chick minimum

addicted2chicks

Songster
10 Years
Mar 19, 2009
Michigan
We went into TSC today and their chicks and ducks were marked down. The store manager was standing there so I asked him if it was still 6 chick minimum. He said yes it is a state law. I said I heard that but also heard it is only TSC that is doing that. He said really? I told him that I read on a forum about TSC seeming to be the only one doing the 6 chicks as other feed stores are not doing it. So he picked up the phone and called a local feed store and they said their minimum was 2 and only because they are pack animals. So he told me I was right. He also said that they were strictly told during a meeting before chick days that they were to follow this because of laws. So he said he was having a phone conference this after noon and that he was going to bring that up. I then also mentioned to him about some people that live in the city and have ordinances allowing them to have a couple of hens for eggs can't buy from TSC because if they are allowed to have 3 hens they don't want to buy 6 because they are not allowed 6 so they go somewhere that they can buy lesser amounts. He told me he was so glad I came in the store today and informed him of all this. He said he will be making sure this is all figured out. I don't think he agreed with the minimum thing. Thought I would share with all of you and will be interesting if the minimum ends up changing.

thumbsup.gif
Sometimes they just were not informed well!

yep, they have the same 6 chick min. in PA. I believe it is to move the chicks faster and the chance of having many stragglers stay there is lessened. If this were a law, there are sooo many places that are disregarding it they could make a mint in fines. Everyone from local feed stores to farmers at auction to hatcheries! I, as well, find it completely annoying. I have 19 chicks right now, but would love to get some BR, but I do not need 6 more chicks. Well, not right now anyway...
big_smile.png

I can totally understand a minimum of 2, since chickens are social, but 6? that's silly...
roll.png

NH - it seems to depend on where you go. AGWAY claims a 12 bird minimum even on ducks. Other places 3 & 6. As long as they know that you are knowledgeable in the keeping of fowl, then they combine orders.

NJ laws are the same 6 minimum.

Ours is not just a TSC rule. I called all feed stores that were selling chicks in our area and they all said the same thing.

Last edited:
Louisiana too....6 chicks.......other local feed stores....1 or more. I think it is just TSC getting people to buy more. I know that ours got in over 2000 chicks & ducks this season. CRAZY. Of course I bought my share of that.

Back
Top Bottom