Went to TSC *about the 6 chick minimum

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by addicted2chicks, Apr 27, 2009.

1. addicted2chicks

addicted2chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Michigan
    We went into TSC today and their chicks and ducks were marked down. The store manager was standing there so I asked him if it was still 6 chick minimum. He said yes it is a state law. I said I heard that but also heard it is only TSC that is doing that. He said really? I told him that I read on a forum about TSC seeming to be the only one doing the 6 chicks as other feed stores are not doing it. So he picked up the phone and called a local feed store and they said their minimum was 2 and only because they are pack animals. So he told me I was right. He also said that they were strictly told during a meeting before chick days that they were to follow this because of laws. So he said he was having a phone conference this after noon and that he was going to bring that up. I then also mentioned to him about some people that live in the city and have ordinances allowing them to have a couple of hens for eggs can't buy from TSC because if they are allowed to have 3 hens they don't want to buy 6 because they are not allowed 6 so they go somewhere that they can buy lesser amounts. He told me he was so glad I came in the store today and informed him of all this. He said he will be making sure this is all figured out. I don't think he agreed with the minimum thing. Thought I would share with all of you and will be interesting if the minimum ends up changing.

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    [​IMG] Sometimes they just were not informed well!

3. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    People are sheep....they just believe everything they are told whether it makes sense or not.

4. rachiegirl

rachiegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    Beaver Co. PA
    yep, they have the same 6 chick min. in PA. I believe it is to move the chicks faster and the chance of having many stragglers stay there is lessened. If this were a law, there are sooo many places that are disregarding it they could make a mint in fines. Everyone from local feed stores to farmers at auction to hatcheries! I, as well, find it completely annoying. I have 19 chicks right now, but would love to get some BR, but I do not need 6 more chicks. Well, not right now anyway...[​IMG]

5. jennmugg

jennmugg Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2009
    Titusville Florida
    Our Rural King had a 25 chick minimum... I went in with another random customer

6. Nivrocco

Nivrocco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2009
    S.W. VA
    VA. TSC has a 6 chick minimum also..

7. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    I can totally understand a minimum of 2, since chickens are social, but 6? that's silly...
    [​IMG]

8. 4hooves&featheredfriends

4hooves&featheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2009
    New Hampshire
    NH - it seems to depend on where you go. AGWAY claims a 12 bird minimum even on ducks. Other places 3 & 6. As long as they know that you are knowledgeable in the keeping of fowl, then they combine orders.

9. NJbirdlover

NJbirdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Salem County, NJ
    NJ laws are the same 6 minimum.

Ours is not just a TSC rule. I called all feed stores that were selling chicks in our area and they all said the same thing.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  10. PhlyinPheBee

PhlyinPheBee Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    Louisiana too....6 chicks.......other local feed stores....1 or more. I think it is just TSC getting people to buy more. I know that ours got in over 2000 chicks & ducks this season. CRAZY. Of course I bought my share of that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by