Went to TSC *about the 6 chick minimum

Sounds like a TSC thing, not a state thing. I don't have a local TSC, so don't know about that here, but our Wilco doesn't seem to have any minimum. But then, I am always buying more than one chick. hee hee hee...

Our TSC does the chick minimum because of irresponsible chicken owners. I know a lot of people get chicks as a novelty and then drop them off in forestry areas. I swear that i am running a chicken rescue some times of the year. It sucks that people to this because during hunting season there are wild chickens everywhere that people shoot and then leave the meat and then brag about it. It is just sad if you ask me! I do understand that in town it is hard with a 6 chick minimum because of the city laws but you may get 3 roos out of it too and end up with 3 hens...(looking on the bright side)

Quote:
Are you refering to the TSC employee that listens to Corporate and follows orders, or the buyers that just go ahead and get 6 since that is what the store told them the law is. There are some states with minimum laws, but most dont have them, the 6 minumum is a TSC thing, and I am sure the people selling them dont care they are just there to get thier 8 hours(7 1/2 so they are not considered Full time) in and go home if the boss says 6 then that is what they follow. Same as thier you have to give your name adress phone# to buy them. I asked the KID at the register and his respose was because that is what his boss said to get. I put down a Name and Address, wasnt mine, but I put one down, and was thanked for making my purchase.

I asked our TSC about it also. They have the 6 chick minimum. I was told it was to lessen the "easter chick" mess, this way parents are less likely to buy an easter chick for their children to torture for a few days.

We are in MI like addicted2chicks is. There are two TSC's near us. One being much closer than the other.
The TSC that is closer had much healthier chicks, and they let me have 4 bantams instead of 6. The girl said she would rather see some go home no matter the amount, then leave them unattended while the store was closed.
The TSC that is alittle bit further away from us in a less rural area had chicks, and they were in very bad shape. They weren't really being attended to like the other store. They also said they let people take home less then 6 chicks. I was kind of leary about bringing home any chick from there because they just did not look well.
I think it boils down to who you talk to in TSC. The one near us in the more rural area have very nice knowledgable folks.

Bluemoon

Last edited:
Our TSC in West Virginia was the same - 6 chick minimum. I had bought 6 banties 4 days ago, and could show them my name in their book that they made me sign & prove it with my driver's licence - but no - I could not have just 4 banties. There were only 4 left, and we do have room for them. I didn't want to buy 2 RIR or Leghorns just for a few banties, but I really wanted the banties!

Fortunately, there was a guy in a similar dilemma just feet away - he only wanted 4 leghorns, not six. I gave him $9.25 in cash & change, and he got his 4 and I got my four, he paid the cashier and we both left quite happy.

Stupid policy. Very very stupid.

Last edited:
I was informed at my local farm/feed store that there was a 6 chick minimum by state law (WA) since I only wanted four I didn't know what I was going to do so as I looked at the chicks with my kids a woman walked in who already had four and wanted two more so the store let us combine our "orders" to get the 6 chick minimum.

Seems all states according to TSC have the same 6 chick minimum which seems to not be the case. If so the local feed store would of also had the same 6 chick minimum. I am sure it is possible some states have that law but seems that it is not true for all states as customers are lead to believe. The TSC manager I talked to this morning said he is following what he was told but if you buy chicks once and come in again and want only a couple and he knows you already did purchase some he will let you purchase lesser amounts. Had I known that I would of gotten a couple banties last week when they had them. But that is ok, as I do have enough chicks right now.

When I got my girls at TSC they let me buy just 4. they are super nice at the store, its really clean and the babies are well cared for.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom