Werewolf attack...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Rachel'sFlock, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Rachel'sFlock

Rachel'sFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

...ok...not a werewolf... but I did watch a huge coyote come up out of the forest and snag one of my hens, this morning, right before my eyes. I couldn't believe its size and speed. It was like Jacob from Twilight grabbing one of my girls. The one I saw him grab has escaped and survived, but one of my other older hens was not so lucky.
    RIP Edna Garrett. You will be missed.
    Now I have a real problem on my hands. I still have 6 week old chicks who are used to free ranging every day with their Mother (they were on a protected side of the yard from the carnage, this morning). They can also fit through my pen wire still. I won't be allowing the rest to range anymore, but I don't know how in the world I am going to keep them in the pen where they at least have some cover and a rooster to help look after them. They will still leave the pen even if their Mother cannot.

Having a xanax, and a cup of tea...listening for drama...

2. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    The one thing for certain is the werewolf will be back. Get prepared to defend your flock and keep them safe.

3. Rachel'sFlock

True dat.
    I got the pen escaped proofed for the littles, and everyone is in, but I am still on pins and needles. I am hoping to recruit a professional werewolf dispatcher, but it is starting to look like I may have to take care of this problem myself.
    I can't keep 19 chickens inside my tiny coop all day and night...the werewolf has to go.
    Any sound coyote-dispatching advice???

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Chicken wire or hardware cloth around the bottom of the fence.

5. moomoodiddy

moomoodiddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2012
    Union County, NC
    get a donkey!!!!!!!!

6. Rachel'sFlock

like, an attack donkey???

7. Joe Jordan

Joe Jordan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    A gun and a tree stand may be better than a donkey. Please though, stay off the drugs. Xanax is a powerful sedative and can render you useless for protecting your flock. Coffee up and be ready for a long night!

8. Pullet Surprise

Pullet Surprise Chillin' With My Peeps

Definately a gun, after the xanex wears off [​IMG]
    oh, and so sorry about the attack! Those werewolves are every where these days!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  9. Rachel'sFlock

thanks. I was sort of just kidding about the xanax. I have been on high alert all day.
    I am hoping not to have to be the Hunstman, tonight. Am attempting to enlist some marksmen I know for the job...but we'll see. I only keep a .22 bolt action in the house, but have some friends willing to let me borrow something a little more appropriate to the task, if needs be.

10. Rachel'sFlock

thank you...I know, you never know where they are going to turn up, next!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by