Weslaco, Texas- wondering what steps I can take

LilyJamis

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 2, 2014
Hi, I'm new here, but I've been browsing for a while.
I know there are some other people from the RGV and I was wondering if there's anyone from Weslaco.
I'm inside city limits with way to much room in my yard. I'm wondering what action I can take (hopefully with some likeminded people) to convince the city that hens should be allowed. I understand if roosters aren't because of the noise.
Is a petition on change.org a good way to go? Should I collect signatures and send a letter to the city?
I really, really, want to keep chickens but I'm not about to invest in equipment until I know it's a real possibility.
From what I understand, most people in my area keep chickens (hens) and the city doesn't do anything about it- the clerk at the store where I was pricing chicks and coops threw around the term "clueless" when speaking of city ordinances and animal control. Heh.

If others in your area have some and nothing has been done to them, I doubt that they're not allowed. Have you checked online for your city ordinances ?

I called and was told that they're not allowed at all within city limits. However, they told the same thing to the sales person at the tractor supply store, but he said his neighbors have about a dozen free range hens.
I'm pretty sure I could get away with having 4 or 6 hens but I don't want to invest hundreds of dollars in caring for the chickens just to have them taken away, and get fined.

You can always give it a shot, I don't think they will say anything if you have 4-6 hens, and either way they're not expensive to care for and you could always get a quieter breed

That's awesome to hear, I may be able to convince my husband. We'd keep their (large) run securely closed and probably offer our neighbors eggs from time to time too. I'm hopeful that it would work out because while we are in the middle of the city we do have a very large yard (we probably have about 900 square feet to work with in the back, not including the fenced in area where we let our dogs run.)

True story. My sister does the zoning and code enforcing for Weslaco. She is working on getting the law changed on it. Esp since while chickens are not allowed, your neighbor could have a pig farm. I encourage those interested to call the city and find out what needs to be done. Also those that have chickens usually have a letter from a doctor saying they should have chickens for emotional support. I know kind of screwy but my sister is the one that investigates them all.

Only thing I want to tell you is rooster's aren't the only ones noisy, especially if there isn't a rooster.

Hens can take to crowing too - and often sing "songs" when they lay eggs.... They can be noisy.

True story. My sister does the zoning and code enforcing for Weslaco. She is working on getting the law changed on it. Esp since while chickens are not allowed, your neighbor could have a pig farm. I encourage those interested to call the city and find out what needs to be done. Also those that have chickens usually have a letter from a doctor saying they should have chickens for emotional support. I know kind of screwy but my sister is the one that investigates them all.
What's the justification for having pigs ?

Hi, I'm new here, but I've been browsing for a while.
I know there are some other people from the RGV and I was wondering if there's anyone from Weslaco.
I'm inside city limits with way to much room in my yard. I'm wondering what action I can take (hopefully with some likeminded people) to convince the city that hens should be allowed. I understand if roosters aren't because of the noise.
Is a petition on change.org a good way to go? Should I collect signatures and send a letter to the city?
I really, really, want to keep chickens but I'm not about to invest in equipment until I know it's a real possibility.
From what I understand, most people in my area keep chickens (hens) and the city doesn't do anything about it- the clerk at the store where I was pricing chicks and coops threw around the term "clueless" when speaking of city ordinances and animal control. Heh.
I would move out of Texas! They claim to be free, ya right.

That said maybe you could just flaunt the law, go underground build a tall fence.

Back
Top Bottom