West Texas coop - questions and updates here!

@sealer39 pics included.
Im really feeling like abandoning the shed at this point. The property is open mostly. I do have one decent sized tree i could try to incorporate...im doing some thinking and planning...ill report back soon!
Eta- deleted duplicate pics

Attachments

• 20200408_131222.jpg
    20200408_131222.jpg
    448.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 20200408_131127.jpg
    20200408_131127.jpg
    617.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 20200408_131244.jpg
    20200408_131244.jpg
    672.5 KB · Views: 15
Excellent decision!
You know chicken wire is not predator proof, right?
Turn those 2x4's on top on their edges to get rid of that sagging.
Will there be a solid roof?
Thanks for the advice! My husband is not a pro, hes just pretty capable, so much appreciated!! Yes I am aware of the lack of predator proofness of the chicken wire. Ive been a bit excited to let the chicks have some outdoor playtime, so for now (well, once the top is on) its just to keep them from getting away from me. They still have another 3 weeks in the brooder.

The plan is a second layer of fencing, its dog kennel fence. That will go up the bottom half, so 4 ft. Then there will be another shorter section of chain link, probably only a foot, as the plan with that is to bend it in an L and run it parallel to the ground to prevent digging.

There will be a roof. So outside the portion that will be the chicken condo - to start were going to use chicken wire and tarps- insta shade on a budget. We would like to have a proper roof built but that will be a work in progress- as were looking at plumbing for misters and that.

Again, any and all advice is much appreciated!

Your shed is way too small for 30. And yes I'm also concerned about the heat since it's metal. Is there anyway to expand it, maybe use the metal section to house just the nests and feeders maybe, and then build out the front so it's open air with a roof overhead. Sort of like this (but with a roof over the front part): https://i.pinimg.com/originals/b2/b0/6a/b2b06a427890ad702ea9621782440710.jpg
Would using a tarp when it gets cold be alright, ya think, for walls? We can absolutely expand out and i love the open air idea for the hotter months. Fresh air for the ladies! Lol. I just worried when it gets chillier they would fight over the warmer spots in the shed? Would they be unhappy roosting in the open air area?

In Texas, a metal shed will get hot enough in summer to kill your chickens if the sun is on it. You need to worry about heat more than cold for chickens. Foam board will work but you can only use it where the birds can’t get to it. Chickens love to eat foam board! You can also paint the exterior, especially the roof, gloss white. That will help reflect the sun.
What if we removed the entire front wall and attached a large fenced area. That was the plan for the run but could we just count part of the open air coop as the run and just make a giant space. I mean the point of the run is freedom of movement and the space to do it...? Would you think that in combination with painting it white would keep in the shed cool, or ditch the shed altogether?

Howdy, im in central Texas and i think your set up will work for your desired flock size. Now let me be clear, that structure will be sufficient to house your birds, but is a death trap in the Texas sun. If you mess up one morning and dont let them out till 11 you will have heat stroke related deaths.

You will want to add ventilation by cutting holes in the metal and replacing it with hardware cloth. Also i would suggest three roosting rods, which at 6 feet each (from your dimensions) will be enough for 30 birds. (my six birds roost on one 4 ft rod happily)

Just to be clear there is a lot of disconnect between the idea of a chicken coop, and a chicken run, this structure you have described is only suitable as a coop, it is not livable in daylight hours and chickens must be let out at dawn.

BTW as a texan you will almost never have to worry about the cold, it simply never gets cold enough here (with exception) to matter to a chicken, over 100 and under zero are the danger temps (F)

Progress! So we have decided to ditch the metal shed. Right now its a 16 x 16 square thats 8 ft tall. Hubby plans to make the top 4 ft and 8 x 16 ft the coop, with a ramp.

Attachments

• 20200420_203216.jpg
    20200420_203216.jpg
    544.3 KB · Views: 10
Progress! So we have decided to ditch the metal shed. Right now its a 16 x 16 square thats 8 ft tall. Hubby plans to make the top 4 ft and 8 x 16 ft the coop, with a ramp.
Excellent decision!
You know chicken wire is not predator proof, right?
Turn those 2x4's on top on their edges to get rid of that sagging.
Will there be a solid roof?

What if we removed the entire front wall and attached a large fenced area. That was the plan for the run but could we just count part of the open air coop as the run and just make a giant space. I mean the point of the run is freedom of movement and the space to do it...? Would you think that in combination with painting it white would keep in the shed cool, or ditch the shed altogether?
Yes, an open air style will help and using the shed will save money. It is still a small shed for 30 birds though. You need to design the coop/run to be predator proof. A chain link fence won’t do it (if that’s the type of fence your referring too). Your right the bigger the run the better. In your climate go ahead and do the foam board and paint. You can sandwich the foam board between the shed wall and 1/4” lauan plywood, cut to fit and fastened with bolts and washers. Pics of your yard and shed will help us help you. IF you really need 30 birds and money is not a concern, building from scratch may be better.

Howdy, im in central Texas and i think your set up will work for your desired flock size. Now let me be clear, that structure will be sufficient to house your birds, but is a death trap in the Texas sun. If you mess up one morning and dont let them out till 11 you will have heat stroke related deaths.

You will want to add ventilation by cutting holes in the metal and replacing it with hardware cloth. Also i would suggest three roosting rods, which at 6 feet each (from your dimensions) will be enough for 30 birds. (my six birds roost on one 4 ft rod happily)

Just to be clear there is a lot of disconnect between the idea of a chicken coop, and a chicken run, this structure you have described is only suitable as a coop, it is not livable in daylight hours and chickens must be let out at dawn.

BTW as a texan you will almost never have to worry about the cold, it simply never gets cold enough here (with exception) to matter to a chicken, over 100 and under zero are the danger temps (F)
Thank you for your input!!

Since your husband knows how to build, I think building a wood structure from scratch would yield best result. The shed could be used for storage.

Also as far as your concerns about open air set up, cold isn't an issue unless you get well below freezing. Most chickens are perfectly fine roosting out in the open air and the traditional 4 solid wall type coop is more about protection from predators and weather. But a well planned open air coop can still provide those things.

Back
Top Bottom