West Texas coop - questions and updates here!

wtxgrl

Chirping
Apr 3, 2020
So im planning out our coop now but id like some input and ideas from yall. Id like to accomadate 30 chickens. Weve got an old metal shed that measures 8 feet wide, six feet deep, and 5 feet tall. We will need to reinforce it, so the plan is to add quite a bit. That said, i have several big concerns. Mainly is the heat. I have easter eggers and yokohamas so i think they handle heat better than some. But we hit triple digits regularly in the worst of summer, and "summer" here is really 3/4 of the year. So, using a metal shed we intend on adding foam board to for the few months it cools off, how should i do ventilation to keep it tolerable? I was thinking of framing window(s) that opens?
Would 10 nesting boxes be enough for 30 birds?
I want a poop board! I saw someone had the brilliant idea to use an old counter top...so smart! I dont have an old counter top, but what else would make a good, washable poop board?
I also am considering sand for the coop bedding. I am really worried that the dry desert weather may make a bad choice though, with things becoming more dusty when dry.
Any desert chicken wranglers that can offer up their wisdom?
**Bonus points if youre in the chihuahuan desert!!**

Chiming in from the heart of the beautiful Texas Hill Country here. IMHO I fully agree with what others have said about wood vs metal where sun + heat are concerned. But if you decide to use metal housing, insulate (and protect from chicken-pecking) not only the sides but especially the ceiling. Personally, I would not use metal, except for the roof of the coop, and only then, if insulated on the inside.

I would also add that shade, shade, shade will go a long way to helping your chickens beat the heat. Not just a couple hours of suncloth, though---I mean DEEP shade that comes from preventing the sun from cooking the ground. Big overhanging porch roof and a slatted side wall on or parallel to the run that provides air circulation but real shade. Find a way to plant a native tree species near the run to help with shade, too. Your chickens will benefit from being able to take shady dust baths. In summer, I wet down a portion of the ground next to my barn each day (in heavy shade) for my girls to simply cool down and dissipate some of their body heat.

Also, consider a safe, reliable source of electricity at the coop to have the availability of using fans and/or misters in the summer.

I will add pics soon of the yard and shed. We intend on dual purpose birds only. I feel like i want to justify my flock size a little. We have five kids and three adults and we are making the transition to self sufficiency. The plan is to not drop below 15 egg layers and to process and keep the freezer stocked. We are intetested in adding goats before next summer. The shed was an optimistic hope at repurposing an already existing structure and to try to save some bucks, but starting from scratch may be our choice. My husband is a self taught carpenter. He is very capable.
I don't think you need to justify anything, you know what you need and who are we to judge? Besides, I'm sure you've heard of chicken math? I would bet MOST of us have more than we need, I do. Ours are dual purpose too so it's not like they don't have a reason to be here for one reason or another. I think the feedback you're getting is more about the number of birds for your coop size.

You mentioned using a tarp on the run. Yes! You can use that to block wind and rain and the flock can still roost there. Chickens roost in trees so it's not like they necessarily NEED a coop. That's more about us wanting to protect them at night when predators abound.

Your shed is way too small for 30. And yes I'm also concerned about the heat since it's metal. Is there anyway to expand it, maybe use the metal section to house just the nests and feeders maybe, and then build out the front so it's open air with a roof overhead. Sort of like this (but with a roof over the front part): https://i.pinimg.com/originals/b2/b0/6a/b2b06a427890ad702ea9621782440710.jpg

What if we removed the entire front wall and attached a large fenced area. That was the plan for the run but could we just count part of the open air coop as the run and just make a giant space. I mean the point of the run is freedom of movement and the space to do it...? Would you think that in combination with painting it white would keep in the shed cool, or ditch the shed altogether?
Hi wtxgrl. I'm afraid a metal shed could be just too darn hot in our climates. The shed I have in my backyard is right behind my coop and the metal stays warmer longer than the wood of my coop does. I'm in Phoenix so we're likely similar in climate. I went with a wood coop painted white, 3 walls and an open front I can close up when the weather gets cold. The roof is also white.

The front is covered in hwc as shown here
Capture+_2020-04-08-06-43-42.png

Here it is in a time of weather transition. We made the screens to shade the interior and make the flock feel more secure at night. In cold weather the screens come off and we put wood panels on the front to close it up, which you can see on the door here.
Capture+_2020-04-08-06-43-14.png

You can still try using the shed without the front and maybe offer roosting options in a covered area of the run for hot weather. If so then painting it a light color is better thsn a dark one. I hope this helps :)

ETA I agree the size of your shed is far too small for that many chickens. My coop is 12x8 and I've had to make changes to accommodate new additions to the flock before I process others I'm not keeping. I've had 20 chickens in my coop at once but not in summer. They tend to spread out and not cuddle when it's hot.

Last edited:
I will add pics soon of the yard and shed. We intend on dual purpose birds only. I feel like i want to justify my flock size a little. We have five kids and three adults and we are making the transition to self sufficiency. The plan is to not drop below 15 egg layers and to process and keep the freezer stocked. We are intetested in adding goats before next summer. The shed was an optimistic hope at repurposing an already existing structure and to try to save some bucks, but starting from scratch may be our choice. My husband is a self taught carpenter. He is very capable.

In Texas, a metal shed will get hot enough in summer to kill your chickens if the sun is on it. You need to worry about heat more than cold for chickens. Foam board will work but you can only use it where the birds can’t get to it. Chickens love to eat foam board! You can also paint the exterior, especially the roof, gloss white. That will help reflect the sun.

Since your husband is a carpenter, forget the shed. Build the three wall coop mentioned above.
Another thing to consider. If it were me, I’d buy meat birds and also buy production egg layers instead of doing the dual purpose route. You can divide the coop to keep two flocks side by side.
My dream coop is the three walled lean to type mentioned above divided into six sections for my various projects.

Back
Top Bottom