Western Massachusetts

Welcome NewBreeder, I do have raise silkies and they do go broody quite often. They are probably my favorite chicken. The only downfall is that they do not produce enough eggs to keep up with my hatching addiction. Right now i am down to two hens and my roo and i cannot wait to build my flock back up. Do you have any pictures of your eggs? I bought some Easter eggers last year hoping for some nice colored eggs but they are like a light tan.

Mamhutch, are you looking for chickens just getting to their laying or birds a year already in?

Here is what I typically see each day for eggs some blue, green, olive (which I believe are mix of americanaXbarr rock), and one hen laying brown eggs.

Still looking for SILKIE hens if anyone has them.

A few years ago everyone had them and now they are almost non-existent seems the fad has faded.

celebrate.gif
So glad I came across this thread! I am in the Greenfield area as well and have recently been dubbed the Crazy Chicken Lady by my family and friends lol. I love my babies and I am looking to create a flock with a variety of colored eggs. Once I convince my husband
big_smile.png
I will be selling a couple of our young Easter Eggers (purchased off of craigslist- Ideal pullets about 10 weeks old now) and maybe a couple older mutt hens as well- to make room for some marans, welsummers and purebred ameraucana. I would be happy with one of each lol. Maybe do some trading.... egg swapping.... etc...... and I am especially excited to hear about a livestock auction in Whately. Can anyone provide me with more details??? Thanks!

Last edited:
Well mamahutch, this mama hutch might have a couple chickens for you as well. I have two black sex link / welsummer mix hens that were born july 4th of last year, been laying for a couple months now- brown eggs. Not sure if my husband will let them go.... but I will ask again- being sure to bat my eye lashes lol. They are the first to come running EVERY day all day long and the larger of the two is very vocal with you. Great entertainment- the kids love them. But I myself am looking for less plain ole brown eggs and these ladies would be on the list to move out. Let me double check with the hubby....

im in north adams. Im going to give the lady a call today to talk about prices, what are you looking for price wise? Like i mentioned earlier i cant handle all of them at this moment so im only probably going to get them if you are still interested. just let me know

Has anyone see coop builders in the area? I thought I had spotted a shed place in Westfield that had an Amish style coop but that was before fall and when I went by it was gone. I am looking for one of the larger coops to hold around 20 ><. Trying to prepare for my new hatching babies coming end of May.

If anyone happens to see one while they are out and about please let me know. I've tried craiglist but I haven't seen anything other than ordering online.

Thanks!
Denise

boxedcow- my husband built our coop and has built other sheds as well for other people. The pictures below are of our coop- not sure on the measurements but it is big. It has a total of 6 nest boxes, two large doors for us to use and two small hinged doors for the chickens to use. Vents are in the eves and the glass windows are removable. We put a divider up in the middle of the coop - splitting it into two, one side for the layers and one side for meat birds, babies not yet ready to meet the other birds or storage space. I love it and I am proud that he built it. He may be willing to build one for you- if you were interested.

newbreader,

I come by silkies all of the time at the auction i go to. I am currently building up my silkie flock myself. Right now i have 2 hens, 1 rooster, 1 that i have no clue what it is yet and 5 chicks. I have been hatching out some silkie eggs and had a couple of them go broody. What colors are you interested in?

Back
Top Bottom