Wet and Dry Fowl Pox - Graphic Pictures of Pus and Scabs

Pics
Ok kids trick or treating
smile.png
Queen Anna ( my hen ) is eating and drinking good now .. Good weight! I was able to open both eyes barely ... I don't see any infection like I also expected.. But upper and lower eye lids are so swillen with poxs on poxs
sad.png
. And worried infection behind eye possibly?
Ug
I would be putting plain Neosporin ot Terramycin ointment into the eyes twice a day.

Last edited:
Ok .. I was doing that to get eye open , both mentioned :) I wil work it into eye too! I hope she makes it.. Thank you everyone. Another question is this normal if the chicken was vaccinated for fowl pox? She was only one I was told was vaccinated and besides literally 1 pock on a beak. And then 1 that fell off an eye on another one . No one else in my flick of 20 has this ?

Correction flock :) not flick.
Update Anna is eating much more vigorously ( can't see well ) but actually searching and pecking to find food. I am still holding food and water up to her every 2 hours . Right now I reapplied neosporin on outter and Terramycin as close to eyeball area but usually she just lets me do it this time she wasent having it. Is this a good sign ? Strong enough to fight back? It is more like her normal self before pox ... She always kept a distance , not like the others that are all over me.
Any thoughts? Thanks again .. I feel less alone in this as a newbie chicken mama with byc help :)

Neosporin should *not* go into the eyes.

Vetericyn has an ophthalmic ointment. Only use treatments designed specifically for eyes in the eyes.
Sorry, but many of us put Neosporin in chickens eyes without a problem, especially if it is an unopened tube or has been used with sterile technique. Terramycin is an eye ointment, but Neosporin ophthalmic ointment only is available by prescription. If chicken owners couldn't use the Neosporin in their chicken's eyes in emergencies, then they would not be able to treat most of their injuries. Being an RN, I wouldn't recommend using Neosporin in human's eyes, but I think it is fine for chickens. Pharmacists have posted on here that OTC Neosporin is fine for chickens. Vetericyn eye gel is great, but many won't or can't spend $20 or more on something for a chicken.

She dosent look any better to me :-( but she is at keeping her weight and eating and drinking on own plus when i offer.
Just updating . I will continue as I am I just wish I knew when these would fall off I can't peel them and it's hard to know where it's her or the lesion :(

Back
Top Bottom