Wet hens don't really look too mad.

Bamabexchicks

Crossing the Road
Oct 30, 2018
East central Alabama
Okay,this might sound goofy but here goes. It's raining here- alot- I mean like a cow whizzin' on a flat rock: its coming down hard. All day. So my chickens are playing in it,running around happy to eat the warm oatmeal/sweet potato breakfast,but not acting like they even know they are drenched. Temp is mid to low 40's. My hen house door is open and the vents on 3 walls not covered. It will be raining and only in the high 30's or low 40's for the next few nights. Should I be concerned? Close the door? They roost inside the hen house and have an enclosed yard.. is being wet gonna make them get too cold?

Title cracked me up!!

Nothing to worry about, if you can get a hand under the wet outer feathers and next to their skin, I think you'll find they are dry and warm underneath. The outer feathers are pretty water resistant, just make sure there are no strong drafts blowing on them when they are roosting.

I think the 'mad as a wet hen' adage has to do with dunking them in cold water to break broodiness.

Title cracked me up!!

Nothing to worry about, if you can get a hand under the wet outer feathers and next to their skin, I think you'll find they are dry and warm underneath. The outer feathers are pretty water resistant, just make sure there are no strong drafts blowing on them when they are roosting.

I think the 'mad as a wet hen' adage has to do with dunking them in cold water to break broodiness.
Well that is comforting. We have discussed making little curtains for the vents and door,but it hasn't been really cold until the rain started. Hubby build a very nice tight house with no drafts, and we put grass hay in every day when we clean up poop.

It can be a fine line between good ventilation and too much 'draft'.
Here's pretty good discussion of such:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1048597/ventilated-but-free-of-drafts

Pics of your coop, inside and out, might help us help you assess the ventilation.

Also knowing.....
Where in this world are you located?
Climate is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, then it's always there!
upload_2018-11-12_19-2-14.png

Pics of your coop, inside and out, might help us help you assess the ventilation.

Also knowing.....
View attachment 1588574
Okay, good info. We are near Auburn Alabama and I will get pics of coop in the near future. Thanks so much for all the great advice!

1202181319.jpg 1202181325b.jpg 1202181327b.jpg 1202181324.jpg 1202181325b.jpg 1202181325b.jpg 1202181325b.jpg 1202181319.jpg

Also knowing.....
View attachment 1588574
Finally got the pics of our coop,had lot of trouble posting the old ones. The my hubby ended up in the hospital w/ MERSA! Long road to health and wellness,but all is now good. Anyhoo,heres the coop.

Also knowing.....
View attachment 1588574
Finally got coop pics. Hubby was in hospital and recovery was slow. But all well now! Anyhoo heres the coop/run

View attachment 1605465 View attachment 1605466 View attachment 1605467 View attachment 1605469 View attachment 1605466 View attachment 1605466 View attachment 1605466 View attachment 1605465
Finally got the pics of our coop,had lot of trouble posting the old ones. The my hubby ended up in the hospital w/ MERSA! Long road to health and wellness,but all is now good. Anyhoo,heres the coop.

Finally got coop pics. Hubby was in hospital and recovery was slow. But all well now! Anyhoo heres the coop/run
I dont know why my phone duplcated so many pics,erased my first post and then posted it anyways!?! Sorry.

Back
Top Bottom