Wet pox

These black spots are very tiny and don't look like pox scabs at this stage to me. It could be mosquito bites or peck marks.

This page has a comparison between canker, wet pox and thrush. The copper should work against thrush, which is a yeast, but it doesn't look like thrush to me. The metronidazole should work against canker and if it goes away they can still carry it but there shouldn't be any new infections and lesions. You can let the feeders dry out, the canker parasite can't survive long out of the body. For wet pox there isn't much you can do afaik, but it can take months to get rid of it.

Now all these diseases can look a lot like other bacterial or fungal infections. So you might need an antifungal instead of antibiotics. To make matters worse, it could secondary infections too.

Is there any chance you can see a vet for a diagnosis?

So the thing about the comb is I don’t know what else it could be... I’m 100% sure they aren’t pecking marks and I’m with her constantly and never see mosquitoes biting her... even though they could, i am sure I would see at least one of them since she has so many dots on her comb.

These black spots are very tiny and don't look like pox scabs at this stage to me. It could be mosquito bites or peck marks.

This page has a comparison between canker, wet pox and thrush. The copper should work against thrush, which is a yeast, but it doesn't look like thrush to me. The metronidazole should work against canker and if it goes away they can still carry it but there shouldn't be any new infections and lesions. You can let the feeders dry out, the canker parasite can't survive long out of the body. For wet pox there isn't much you can do afaik, but it can take months to get rid of it.

Now all these diseases can look a lot like other bacterial or fungal infections. So you might need an antifungal instead of antibiotics. To make matters worse, it could secondary infections too.

Is there any chance you can see a vet for a diagnosis?
Thank you, so the vet is an option but not one I want to use right now. I am also considering the vet for Devs crop, the hen with the dots on her comb, she has two ‘lipomas’ in her crop. They are definitely in her crop, one on both sides, and they feel like ligaments in a big clump. If they start to cause issues I will take her in for that and mention lesions, which may be related to each other.

Neither of them have sour crop, would that eliminate thrush?

I change water everyday and clean and disinfect their feed bowl every night.

Isn’t metronidazole and ronidazole antibiotics... so that would eliminate a secondary infection?

What anti fungal would be useful?
What's next?
Give her a big long break from all the meds. See that she's eating/drinking well and pamper her.

I agree, I don't see Fowl Pox either. I'd not worry about the comb.
I’m fine with that but if it is very stubborn canker, wouldn’t a break let the lesions develop an immunity to both metronidazole and ronidazole?

So the thing about the comb is I don’t know what else it could be... I’m 100% sure they aren’t pecking marks and I’m with her constantly and never see mosquitoes biting her... even though they could, i am sure I would see at least one of them since she has so many dots on her comb.

Thank you, so the vet is an option but not one I want to use right now. I am also considering the vet for Devs crop, the hen with the dots on her comb, she has two ‘lipomas’ in her crop. They are definitely in her crop, one on both sides, and they feel like ligaments in a big clump. If they start to cause issues I will take her in for that and mention lesions, which may be related to each other.

Neither of them have sour crop, would that eliminate thrush?

I change water everyday and clean and disinfect their feed bowl every night.

Isn’t metronidazole and ronidazole antibiotics... so that would eliminate a secondary infection?

What anti fungal would be useful?

I’m fine with that but if it is very stubborn canker, wouldn’t a break let the lesions develop an immunity to both metronidazole and ronidazole?
I agree with the above posters, the black dots don't look scabby or like they stem from a virus, so I would ignore those. No medication would treat those anyway.

Can you get a really good photo of the mouth lesions again? (Photo's kinda blurry) The pic you recently included here doesn't look like canker? And if it isn't, you might do as suggested and give them a break from the meds and see if their bodies don't heal themselves.

And here is a picture of the acs

And here is a picture of the acs
So I see you can get the ACS from one place but found this on amazon. If i remember right this is the old "blue rock" method they used on horses ect.
Seem to be the same. Your picture is 22%..Amazon is 25%, do you think it is the equivalent? TIA.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220730-164754.png
    Screenshot_20220730-164754.png
    856.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
So I see you can get the ACS from one place but found this on amazon. If i remember right this is the old "blue rock" method they used on horses ect.
Seem to be the same. Your picture is 22%..Amazon is 25%, do you think ot is the equivalent? TIA.
Not all Copper Sulfate is created equal, never use any that is not produced specifically for Poultry. It needs to say this on the packaging. Copper Sulfate that is not used correctly on birds can be deadly.

I agree with the above posters, the black dots don't look scabby or like they stem from a virus, so I would ignore those. No medication would treat those anyway.

Can you get a really good photo of the mouth lesions again? (Photo's kinda blurry) The pic you recently included here doesn't look like canker? And if it isn't, you might do as suggested and give them a break from the meds and see if their bodies don't heal themselves.
I will definitely try to get mouth lesion pictures again... it will have to wait until later though, I don’t have anyone to help at the moment. I should have pictures up by the end of the day... thanks!

Ok I got the pictures, hopefully a little more clear. Two are Devs and one is Eddie, I wrote names on it.

Also, in the picture of Eddie’s, I think the yellow marks on the right are food...

Attachments

• 8A32C791-76D2-4E1F-B501-34610160283A.jpeg
    8A32C791-76D2-4E1F-B501-34610160283A.jpeg
    299.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 7BD5A8AD-21CB-43D1-8777-769051246241.jpeg
    7BD5A8AD-21CB-43D1-8777-769051246241.jpeg
    450.6 KB · Views: 14
  • D6E98A50-F299-4F7C-BBBE-86F95F618EAD.jpeg
    D6E98A50-F299-4F7C-BBBE-86F95F618EAD.jpeg
    332.9 KB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom