Wet run with algae bloom possibly harming chickens health

Skyla

Songster
6 Years
Aug 10, 2017
Northern Wisconsin
Hello,
My chicken coop and run is in a pretty low spot and after rain or melted snow easily turns into a muddy nightmare with standing water everywhere (The ground doesn't absorb the water well), some a good 5 inches deep. When it's not muddy the ground is hard packed, desolate of life with what I believe is algae bloom covering the surface (pictures below). My chickens have been in relative poor health lately and I have had 2 sudden and unexplainable deaths of otherwise young healthy hens in the past few months. I was informed by an experienced poultry farmer that possibly my issue is that the environment has become toxic and too acidic from their droppings everyday for 4 years. Since they've been located there so long she said it could be a coccidiosis issue because they're constantly surrounded by it and there acidic and wet environment doesn't help. Any thoughts on this? Is there a way to improve the quality of their run by maybe breaking up the ground and adding new dirt or sand? Or is the only option to move the coop? Thank you for the help!
IMG_0110.JPG
IMG_0111.JPG

IMG_0113.JPG
IMG_0117.JPG
IMG_0120.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0115.JPG
    IMG_0115.JPG
    675.2 KB · Views: 1
Wow yes I'd imagine that could be an issue. A wet environment is not good for chickens and algae could be an issue (not 100% sure). I don't know if you could add enough drainage there to fix the standing water issue since it's in a low spot and existing soil drainage is not good. Short of artificially building up the ground quite a bit, to the point that it's well above the current level, not sure what to suggest that doesn't involve moving the set up.

Wow yes I'd imagine that could be an issue. A wet environment is not good for chickens and algae could be an issue (not 100% sure). I don't know if you could add enough drainage there to fix the standing water issue since it's in a low spot and existing soil drainage is not good. Short of artificially building up the ground quite a bit, to the point that it's well above the current level, not sure what to suggest that doesn't involve moving the set up.

I imagine algae would be an issue however I have been unable to find anything that mentions it's impact on their health. But a wet environment is definitely short of ideal to say the least. I agree, the soil drainage is probably a problem that will never really go away due to the coops location. Maybe adding a good layer of sand or dirt to the run, not enough to really build it up, especially above the ground level it's at, but enough to cover all the algae would work? Although I'm sure that would be short lived fix. It's beginning to look like moving the coop might be the only option. I really appreciate the feedback!

If the soil drainage was better using something like deep litter would stabilize the muck and building it up over time would allow for good drainage while effectively raising the floor height compared to surrounding area... But with the water just pooling there, unable to drain off anywhere due to the fact that the spot is low lying plus has poor soil drainage, I think regardless if you add soil, litter, sand, etc. it's just going to continue pooling underneath whatever you throw on top, so the floor of your run will never quite dry out.

I know it's a huge hassle to have to move your set up but if that's remotely feasible, that's what I'd do.

I know it's a huge hassle to have to move your set up but if that's remotely feasible, that's what I'd do.

After hearing your thoughts and thinking it over I think I'll just suck it up and move the setup. The only spot it could be moved to is an area just behind the coop. It's on the same level of low ground but maybe if I properly build up the ground, with rocks underneath and dirt on top, the water will be able to drain and they'll have a dryer environment. It will also be a good time to improve the coop and run. We plan on doing a framed run this time so it looks better and isn't as much of a pain to deal with when it snows (we currently have a chicken wire roof over the large run to keep out hawks but when ever it snows the roof comes down bringing the fencing with it, not a very fun thing to deal with when it in the 10's). Thank you again for the advice. Its been extremely helpful.

Back
Top Bottom