Wet sand in run

Tnate

Songster
9 Years
May 5, 2014
Cleveland Ga.
Happy 4th y'all!
Ok so I want to get opinion on this sitch.
I included pics. The run is at functional status...with more to do, like roosting etc.
The sand we used is very wet because of Ga.rainy summer days.
As you can see the run is tarped so it is also mostly shade throughout the day.
Do I lightly lime when it's wet or just keep raking and scooping poo a few times a day.
Everything I go down to them I scoop and rake.
Just want it to not smell and dry out.
TIA

Attachments

• 20230703_170417.jpg
    20230703_170417.jpg
    993.5 KB · Views: 60
  • 20230703_170439.jpg
    20230703_170439.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
  • 20230703_170457.jpg
    20230703_170457.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
  • 20230703_170542.jpg
    20230703_170542.jpg
    793.2 KB · Views: 22
Without sun and airflow it won't dry quickly, if at all.
Once sand gets saturated with pulverized poop(and eventually it will as you can't scoop out all the poops) it will stink when wet.
How long have you had this sand run setup?

Did the rain come in sideways or is it flowing along the ground into the run under the tarp?

Without sun and airflow it won't dry quickly, if at all.
Once sand gets saturated with pulverized poop(and eventually it will as you can't scoop out all the poops) it will stink when wet.
How long have you had this sand run setup?

Did the rain come in sideways or is it flowing along the ground into the run under the tarp?
The sand was in place for weeks..schedules...Yada Yada.
Structure was finished yesterday.
No water flow/flooding problems.

Wondering if I need to put a layer of wood pellet down.

The sand was in place for weeks..schedules...Yada Yada.
Structure was finished yesterday.
No water flow/flooding problems.

Wondering if I need to put a layer of wood pellet down.
I too am in GA where we get those soakers every week or sometimes a couple times a week...my run is sand and right now the only way it gets wet is seepage from the runoff of the roof so only 1 side gets damp. I usually rake mine a couple of times when it's wet and put down some lime at least once a week and rake it in. I also have an outdoor fan that I put on it when it's damp and it really dries it up quickly.

My goal is going to be to swap the side that gets the moisture on it once a year in the winter to try and combat the smell from the trampled poop as was stated above. I figure I can take out the top 3-4 inches and be good to go....we shall see.

Hey neighbor!
I'm in N.Ga. I'm just gonna scoop and rake several times a day.
So you put lime on wet sand?
I may do a light dusting this evening and rake it in.

Can you put more sand and maybe soil over the sand? Kind of make it a deep litter type setup that they keep stirred up and the biome prevents stink?

Can you put more sand and maybe soil over the sand? Kind of make it a deep litter type setup that they keep stirred up and the biome prevents stink?
I add a bucket or 2 of sand to mine as needed....I kinda gauge where it is getting light and bring some in and dump it. It gets scattered free of charge :)

Back
Top Bottom