We've heard alot about dogs, but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sherry

Songster
12 Years
Apr 8, 2007
Southern WV
what gets me, is cats. So many of my neighbors wouldn't think to let their dogs run loose, but think nothing of letting the cats roam wherever they wish. Happened to catch one going for my chicks today. He won't do that again.
big_smile.png

Why don't people think cats are as, or even more, destructive than dogs?

Because dogs are larger and can tear through things and attack children. Haven't seen a cat disable a small child or break though chain link fence. Cat's are more sly and affect their surroundings more conspiciously like killing native birds and gong after small animals. Once your chicks are a few months old they will peck the eyes out of any cats and they won't be a problem anymore.

I don't really agree that cats are any more or less destructive than dogs. On the contrary, I believe dogs can destroy an entire flock of chickens in a few minutes. A cat is more likely to go after the smaller, weaker animals like the chicks.
But I do think that some people don't feel the same about cats as they do dogs. It amazes me to still hear that some people bring in their dog at night and put their cat out.
Some don't even let their cats into the house. I guess some just don't develop a bond with felines, and while they claim to take on the responsibility of their care, the animal is sort of left on its own when dumped outdoors. Unlike a dog, fences don't deter cats from going wherever they want.
I've always had both dogs and cats, and I keep my cats indoors. Not only do I not have to worry about them getting into fights, I don't have to wonder if they are irritating a neighbor, or stalking a peep!
Sorry you had to go through that, and I hope the cat doesn't come back to bother your chicks again. Unfortunately, when cats are out they are just like any other predator when it come to peeps.

I agree that cats don't race in and tear apart a cage to get at prey. They are more sneaky, and not forceful, so they don't attract attention the way dogs do.

I do think cats are extremely destructive on the native bird population. That's a tragedy.

I have two beloved indoor cats. They are afraid of my pullets, even when they were chicks. But I can bet that if a chick had run across the floor in front of them, the chicks would have been history. You can't tame instinct.

I have one cat a older nuetered male. He has been raised inside most of his life, but was sorta wild and living in a wooded area as a kitten. Cocoa will try and sneak out if I don't watch and he is totally different outisde. He can be extremely aggressive and anyone out there that has been bitten and clawed by a cat will tell you they rather be bitten by a dog! A cat will grab you and bite. It is like being raked by razors. In the house he is as sweet as pie. Outside, he doesn't want to be picked up and he turns into Mr. Hyde. He is a natural, climbs trees like Tarzan and can catch a bird in a heart beat! I worry so when he does sneak out that some unsuspecting person or child will try and pet him or pick him up and he will attack. I wouldn't want that. One time late at night he sneaked out and I called him as it was after midnight and I was going to bed. He slowly walked to the door I held open(I was very leery at this as he has never came to me this easily), he put one foot in the doorway and as quick as lightning he took off! I tried luring him in with food and that didn't work.

I have one that couldn't catch her own tail, and one that wont get off the bed.

However, I have a 3rd cat that will hunt anything that moves. She has brought home full grown rabbits and groundhogs!!! Even a 4ft king snake!! and she weights less than 9 lbs!!! She wears a harness because I couldn't keep a belled collar on her. She would loose it in less than an hour. Now ever with a harness that has a big bell between her shoulders, I have seen her snatch a squirrel of the top of a birdfeeder with out the slightest tinkling from the bell.

http://www.geocities.com/wolfwindspirit/BASHFULL.html

She is the reason my chickens aren't free-range at this time. I'm worried about my dog yes, but I'm even more worried about this cat!!

Quote:
Spook is an awesome looking dog. Is he a cattle dog mix of some kind. He sure looks like one.

Now about cats...I have two barn cats that are supposed to take care of the rodents out there, they have been neutered and vacanated. And they dont' do a very good job. I also have to house cats that stay in during the winter and perfer it outside during the summer. I keep the babies up till they are big enough that the cats don't want them, but they totally leave the big chickens alone.

I don't like cats running around that are not taken care of and spread disease. And most cats kill for fun, not to eat. however my barn cat does eat most of what he kills.

Quote:
Because they aren't.

There are studies out that disagree with you. Cute little fluffy cats arent called the silent killers for nothing.

I think people are brought up to think good things about cats (scruffy, beat up, one eye, mangy tom cats excepted) but trail snookiums some day when she gets let out of the house and you will usually see carnage in her wake, not to mention the desease she gets and spreads.

There is no doubt about it, free running cats are a problem just like dogs are. I dont think its right to say one is more or less of a problem as they both need to be corrected.

Quote:
i know what you mean sherry, there are three cats that roam around here. i love we don't see mice or worse. but i don't like that they try to attack the birds i try to draw to my yard or baby rabbits and not to mention young squirrels. when we bought our 13 acres we hardly saw any squirrels, i don't know if the guy living here before hunted alot here or if it was animals getting them. but they have made a comeback.
people can at least control cats and dogs. i know we can't the other animals God put in the wild.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom