1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

We've Moved! Dad's Nervous *of course PICS*!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Connorrm, May 26, 2011.

1. Connorrm

Connorrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Capital District, NY
    Well - I put in the extra windows for more ventilation - covered them with hardware cloth. It's a concrete floor so nothing is digging in (covered with 5" of shavings).

They were hatched 4/23/11 - and already outgrowing their 15 sq ft brooder. So now they have 136 sq ft - about 11.3 sq ft each. They have their roosts, they have their old feeder (and the new hanging one) and their old 1 gallon waterer. Going to *try* to leave them in there undisturbed till tomorrow morning. This is going to be hard. Tell me not to freak out!!!

Pics:

Help we feel so small and insignificant:
    [​IMG]

Hey! Dad! Shut the door on the way out we think we saw a cat while you were carrying us over here!!

[​IMG]

You'll notice I made a 2x4 "ramp" going up the to the roost. I wasn't sure if they could flutter up that far....or if they'd even want to. And seeing the pics makes me realize I forgot to put the sand in the dust bath in the corner across from the roost. Now I have to run back out there (more like now I have an excuse!). It's high 80s in the day and mid to high sixties at night for at least the next 10 days. By then I think they'll be fine.

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  2. Connorrm

Apr 27, 2011
    Capital District, NY
    Ah! I went out there and they're eating and just hanging around the feed/water. I sneezed and they hit the deck and flattened out [​IMG]

My poor little peepers!!

3. ForgottenGlen

ForgottenGlen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Raeford, NC
    Tooooooo cute! What a wonderful space for them! Good job dad! [​IMG]

4. christina1982

christina1982 Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2011
    Louisiana
    Awesome!

5. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:That's funny, reminds of the first day mine went out to their coop, about the same age as yours. I was squatting down handing out some treats, happened to sneeze, they all shot underneath me to hide as if I was a hen! [​IMG] Glad I didn't loose my balance!

6. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Quote:That's funny, reminds of the first day mine went out to their coop, about the same age as yours. I was squatting down handing out some treats, happened to sneeze, they all shot underneath me to hide as if I was a hen! [​IMG] Glad I didn't loose my balance!

Cute story!

To the OP: Awesome setup!

7. Dornes

Dornes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    South Western WI
    Very nice little place for them! They look super content! As far as the ramp... won't that be too slippery for them and you can risk leg issues? I am a newb to all this, but I thought slippery was not good for them...

8. stcroixusvi

stcroixusvi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    Quote:You could just put an easy-to-clean foot stool just below the roost and they could hop/fly up. Mine are only 2 weeks old and already almost hopping/flying 2 feet. Acrobatics!

9. Connorrm

Apr 27, 2011
    Capital District, NY
    Maybe I will try the foot stool idea. I'm so nervous!! [​IMG] I just went and looked in one of the windows - they are laying down in a nice little row all flattened out (dusk here no direct sunlight going inside for them now). They aren't on the roost - but they seem okay....they didn't have access to a roost in their brooder so I guess it will take a while for them to figure it out.

I really can't wait till the first couple of nights go bye, then I can relax a little. I'm sure I'm the only one stressed about it [​IMG] they seem fairly content. Hopefully in the morning they'll explore things a little more. I'm going to bring out a folding chair and sit in there for a while with them and offer them some worms and oatmeal. Either way I hope they'll be okay.

I momentarily panicked wondering what would happen if a raccoon or weasel wanted to get in. But then I reassured myself that they can't jump four feet in the air, grip smooth stainless steel (which is what the outside is) and pull themselves up to a window ledge, gnaw through screen to get to the hardware cloth and then get my chickies.

I never thought I would be such a worry wart!

10. Connorrm

Apr 27, 2011
    Capital District, NY
    So I couldn't resist I went back out to check again - it's nearly dark. They are all still lined up nicely and laying down. This is the first time they've gone without light before.

I hope they won't be terrified all night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by