We've Moved! Dad's Nervous *of course PICS*!

Connorrm

Songster
9 Years
Apr 27, 2011
Capital District, NY
Well - I put in the extra windows for more ventilation - covered them with hardware cloth. It's a concrete floor so nothing is digging in (covered with 5" of shavings).

They were hatched 4/23/11 - and already outgrowing their 15 sq ft brooder. So now they have 136 sq ft - about 11.3 sq ft each. They have their roosts, they have their old feeder (and the new hanging one) and their old 1 gallon waterer. Going to *try* to leave them in there undisturbed till tomorrow morning. This is going to be hard. Tell me not to freak out!!!

Pics:

Help we feel so small and insignificant:
IMAG0235.jpg

Hey! Dad! Shut the door on the way out we think we saw a cat while you were carrying us over here!!

IMAG0236.jpg

You'll notice I made a 2x4 "ramp" going up the to the roost. I wasn't sure if they could flutter up that far....or if they'd even want to. And seeing the pics makes me realize I forgot to put the sand in the dust bath in the corner across from the roost. Now I have to run back out there (more like now I have an excuse!). It's high 80s in the day and mid to high sixties at night for at least the next 10 days. By then I think they'll be fine.

Last edited:
Ah! I went out there and they're eating and just hanging around the feed/water. I sneezed and they hit the deck and flattened out
sad.png

My poor little peepers!!

Quote:
That's funny, reminds of the first day mine went out to their coop, about the same age as yours. I was squatting down handing out some treats, happened to sneeze, they all shot underneath me to hide as if I was a hen!
gig.gif
Glad I didn't loose my balance!

Quote:
That's funny, reminds of the first day mine went out to their coop, about the same age as yours. I was squatting down handing out some treats, happened to sneeze, they all shot underneath me to hide as if I was a hen!
gig.gif
Glad I didn't loose my balance!

Cute story!

To the OP: Awesome setup!

Very nice little place for them! They look super content! As far as the ramp... won't that be too slippery for them and you can risk leg issues? I am a newb to all this, but I thought slippery was not good for them...

Quote:
You could just put an easy-to-clean foot stool just below the roost and they could hop/fly up. Mine are only 2 weeks old and already almost hopping/flying 2 feet. Acrobatics!

Maybe I will try the foot stool idea. I'm so nervous!!
hide.gif
I just went and looked in one of the windows - they are laying down in a nice little row all flattened out (dusk here no direct sunlight going inside for them now). They aren't on the roost - but they seem okay....they didn't have access to a roost in their brooder so I guess it will take a while for them to figure it out.

I really can't wait till the first couple of nights go bye, then I can relax a little. I'm sure I'm the only one stressed about it
smile.png
they seem fairly content. Hopefully in the morning they'll explore things a little more. I'm going to bring out a folding chair and sit in there for a while with them and offer them some worms and oatmeal. Either way I hope they'll be okay.

I momentarily panicked wondering what would happen if a raccoon or weasel wanted to get in. But then I reassured myself that they can't jump four feet in the air, grip smooth stainless steel (which is what the outside is) and pull themselves up to a window ledge, gnaw through screen to get to the hardware cloth and then get my chickies.

I never thought I would be such a worry wart!

So I couldn't resist I went back out to check again - it's nearly dark. They are all still lined up nicely and laying down. This is the first time they've gone without light before.

I hope they won't be terrified all night.

Back
Top Bottom