Wha???

Saroco

Songster
9 Years
Sep 3, 2010
The Wonderful Land of Oz
Two of my chickens have been in the nesting boxes for two days straight! WHY?! I have no roosters, so I don't think that they are broody.... I am afraid that they will get dehydrated or starve..

Don't need a rooster to go broody, and it sounds like they are. I only had one chicken go broody in the last 2 years so far, so others can tell you more - or you can just search "broody" - you'll find a ton.

Keep taking them off the nest, try to get them to eat and drink. Some even dunk in cool water to help them snap out of it.

If they puff up and snarl at you, when you go to touch them or reach under them to get eggs, they're probably broody all right.

Roosters are not necessary. Nor are eggs, as a matter of fact; some broody hens will set on empty nests, too.

It I were you, I'd get some fertilized eggs for 'em to hatch. ;-)

They are most deffinately brooding. They don't need a roo to go broody. Good luck in breaking them. I take my brooding hens off the nest whenever I am out there but don't worry that they'll starve or dehydrate. You will notice large piles of poo that they will create.
ep.gif
First time I saw one I thought a dog had been around. I guess since they are not walking around pooping all day they store it up for one major stool.
sickbyc.gif

Yeah, good luck cause you will need it. *gets out my broody gun muttering darkly* at least they aren't silkies.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom