What’s in your first aid box ?

Debby in france

Chirping
Dec 8, 2018
Over the years I have collected various odds and ends in case of sickness or injury. My chook first aid kit has:
  1. Vaseline
  2. Nutri drops
  3. Self grip bandages
  4. Xeno 450
  5. Potassium chloride
  6. Soluble junior aspirin
  7. Verm x wormer
  8. Baby shampoo
  9. A very sharp pair of scissors
  10. Sterilising hand wash
What’s in yours ?

Over the years I have collected various odds and ends in case of sickness or injury. My chook first aid kit has:
  1. Vaseline
  2. Nutri drops
  3. Self grip bandages
  4. Xeno 450
  5. Potassium chloride
  6. Soluble junior aspirin
  7. Verm x wormer
  8. Baby shampoo
  9. A very sharp pair of scissors
  10. Sterilising hand wash
What’s in yours ?
May I suggest you add these.
Coccivex/Corid, or similar, to treat coccidiosis. When you need this drug you often need it in a hurry.
Flubenvet, or any wormer that contains Flubendazole.
Stockholm Hoof Tar, or an alternative brand of Pine Tar.

Edit.
A mouth wash containing Chlorhexadine for disinfecting and cleaning wounds.

Good idea re the cocc. stuff. I have been intending to get some but you know what it’s like, I don’t need it so it can wait. I will get s9me with my next amazon order.

Would be interested to know more about your wormer knowledge. I only use verm x. I realise it’s not very strong but thought it would do the job required ?

And what is Stockholm hoof tar ? Sounds like something for horses ? What’s it for ? More info definitely needed please.

Verm X doesn't work. It isn't a wormer. It's sold as a natural preventative. You really need a wormer that kills worms. Flubendazole is the only product I know of that is licensed for UK.
Given your name I assume you live in France.:)
I don't know your situation regarding accessibility and affordability of vet care but I imagine it's not that different from Spain.
I get quite a few injuries from predator attacks and the hazards of free ranging.
It isn't always possible to get to a vet and sometimes it's unnecessary.
I've been using Stockholm Hoof Tar for injuries for many years.
This article explains more.
It isn't widely used in the US.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...s-and-injuries-with-stockholm-hoof-tar.74400/

Many thanks Shadrach, I will get an order together today. Interesting about the wormer. I always used to used flubenvet but couldn’t get it over here. No suppliers in uk will send it here so I changed to verm x.
I have a friend in uk at the moment who is coming home on 18th, I will send some to her.
Thanks again from me and my girls :hugs

BYC sells a first aid kit for chickens online for products you may need. You also need to stock with injuries to first stop bleeding. Styptic powder, gauzes, bandages, vet wrap. Etc. Here is the link. I think they should sell this in the BYC store but do not. Antiseptic like blu-kote. Eyewash. Betadine. Small box of Epsom salt, 35 ml syringe oral use only for feeding. I also bought vet bond as like a surgical glue for injuries that seals cuts to avoid needing bandage. All heal salve. Vaseline. Qtips. Scissors. All from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B078...=8-2-fkmr2&keywords=bic+chicken+first+aid+kit

I read lately I am supposed to also keep nail trimmers for beaks and toenails. Can buy dog ones but I do not trim nails. Will let vet handle that most likely. I don’t trim my dogs either. Vet and groomer do. But can do for self. I got free lifetime nail trims when I bought my dog if stuck with same vet and can’t beat that.

I read lately I am supposed to also keep nail trimmers for beaks and toenails. Can buy dog ones but I do not trim nails. Will let vet handle that most likely. I don’t trim my dogs either. Vet and groomer do. But can do for self. I got free lifetime nail trims when I bought my dog if stuck with same vet and can’t beat that.
I am very against beak trimming by cutting. It's very easy to cause splits in the beak, even with sharp cutters in the hands of someone experienced. I've had rescue hens here that have had their beaks badly cut and it's heartbreaking.
Toenails and beaks can be filed. It does take more time but it's a lot safer. I manage to misscut my own toenails!

Recently I forget which member on worst mistakes thread confessed she trimmed her chickens nails without anything to stop bleeding. Funny thread but I’m sure scary. This is what prompted vet bond. The chicken ate the bandage used to stop bleeding cuz she didn’t cover with vet wrap or koflex. Had no styptic powder. Looked up corn starch. Had to give chicken stool softeners to pass eaten bandage. Bloody mess! I think chicken ok.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom