What’s next?

Ljnelson252

In the Brooder
Jun 3, 2023
I was trying to add a few more ducks to my flock of four (1 drake, 3 hens). Originally I had a flock of 7 so I only added 3 more. Before I hatched the eggs myself, this time I decided it was easier to just pick up a few from tractor supply. I gambled on it and lost. Now I’ve got two new drakes of what breed I’m not exactly sure. Unfortunately now those drakes are much bigger than my OG drake. Him and his hens are Rouens. I think I missed that sweet spot during introductions bc the old ducks absolutely hate the new ducks and now the new ducks know they’re bigger so they’re more aggressive than the old ones. I’ve started separating them at night in the pen but when they free range on the farm during the day there isn’t much I can do to keep the new drakes from bullying the old drake.

Will keeping them separate at night be good enough to keep everyone happy and healthy or do the new drakes need to be penned up away from the old ducks permanently? I’ve also considered finding new homes for them or allowing them to be someone else’s thanksgiving meal, frankly these TS ducks are just mean. And to think I was originally worried about my old ducks being the bullies.

Here are a few pictures of the new trio I added. The Pekin is a female.
IMG_2165.jpeg

Keep the female and rehome the drakes, you can’t have that many drakes with so few females. Anyway, you’d have to forever keep them separate, not worth it in my opinion. Also, in my experience, new ducks always bully old ducks, at least, for a few months, even if the new ducks are smaller lol.

Back
Top Bottom