What’s the difference: bearded vs. non-bearded silkie?

Oldegarlicshnapp

Songster
May 11, 2020
I was able to find that show girls are with a naked neck due to cross breeding with another chicken. I’m trying to see if the beard or non-beard is due to that as well. My preference is to have a Silkie that most closely resembles its original standard. Cause I can’t tell if the show standard is from a preference for the beard (to show off grooming abilities, etc.).

Are either the beard or beardless from cross-breeding?

My preference is to have a Silkie that most closely resembles its original standard. Cause I can’t tell if the show standard is from a preference for the beard (to show off grooming abilities, etc.).

Are either the beard or beardless from cross-breeding?
Both are accepted varieties.. I personally prefer bearded (however that's sometimes what blocks eyesight more than the crest).

Bearding is a dominant gene, IIRC.

Here is a quick reference link with the American standard of perfection. I know some colors have been added since this was dated.. Standard does vary some by other countries.. for example, we've only got one size standard.. but they come in larger and bantam in some countries.. and I've even heard the term broiler Silkie used.

https://www.browneggblueegg.com/Standard.html

Showgirls *may* be pure at this point, breeding true and maybe even considered a separate breed from Silkie. NN is a gene that can be bred in just like silkied is, aside from the breeds they're typically associated with.

A first generation Silkie cross will be hard feathered.. as silkied is a recessive gene.

Both are accepted varieties.. I personally prefer bearded (however that's sometimes what blocks eyesight more than the crest).

Bearding is a dominant gene, IIRC.

Here is a quick reference link with the American standard of perfection. I know some colors have been added since this was dated.. Standard does vary some by other countries.. for example, we've only got one size standard.. but they come in larger and bantam in some countries.. and I've even heard the term broiler Silkie used.

https://www.browneggblueegg.com/Standard.html

Showgirls *may* be pure at this point, breeding true and maybe even considered a separate breed from Silkie. NN is a gene that can be bred in just like silkied is, aside from the breeds they're typically associated with.

A first generation Silkie cross will be hard feathered.. as silkied is a recessive gene.
Bearding is incomplete dominant I think.

White showgirls are accepted if I remember correctly

Back
Top Bottom