What’s wrong with his legs???

He’s the only rooster I have. Don’t think he got caught in a fence but I guess he could have and I just didn’t see him limping until he came out today. It does look like it’s bone but he is walking. Even trying to mount the hens but not being very successful. I think I’ll try just soaking several times a day, putting oil, keep him quiet and put ointment on the joint. Thanks for your help.

There look to be holes in his legs at the joint. Something has damaged his legs, perhaps a rat, another chicken, or something else. The hock joints look very inflammed, and infection would be a big concern. Is there a local vet that you could have him see? I cannot imagine that he has pecked his own legs to do this. Epsom salts warm soaks might help, or perhaps use chlorhexidene or betadine (both in first aid aisles) in some water for a soak. Leg mites appear to be the lesser problem here, but that will usually respond to an oil (vaseline, crisco shortening, castor oil, coconut oil) applied once a week and rubbed under scales.

There look to be holes in his legs at the joint. Something has damaged his legs, perhaps a rat, another chicken, or something else. The hock joints look very inflammed, and infection would be a big concern. Is there a local vet that you could have him see? I cannot imagine that he has pecked his own legs to do this. Epsom salts warm soaks might help, or perhaps use chlorhexidene or betadine (both in first aid aisles) in some water for a soak. Leg mites appear to be the lesser problem here, but that will usually respond to an oil (vaseline, crisco shortening, castor oil, coconut oil) applied once a week and rubbed under scales.

Last year my turkey tom had leg mites and pecked his own legs severely trying to get rid of them and he scabbed up too. I don't know if this is what you are dealing with, but I used Vaseline to smother the mites and mixed with antibiotic cream. I also put him on an oral antibiotic, because it was looking infected. It happened so quickly....one day he was fine and the next limping and that's when I discovered the raised scales. It took 6 weeks to clear up...I really thought I was going to lose him his legs were so bad.

Last year my turkey tom had leg mites and pecked his own legs severely trying to get rid of them and he scabbed up too. I don't know if this is what you are dealing with, but I used Vaseline to smother the mites and mixed with antibiotic cream. I also put him on an oral antibiotic, because it was looking infected. It happened so quickly....one day he was fine and the next limping and that's when I discovered the raised scales. It took 6 weeks to clear up...I really thought I was going to lose him his legs were so bad.

Back
Top Bottom