What’s wrong with my baby?! 😥

Give them some yogurt, perhaps a bit more microbial flora will help against being colonized by the fungus. And fresh air. But be careful about the temp and don't leave them to be cold. Keep them at there the recommended temperature. Also clean thoroughly brooding area. And if they are kept in a mouldy room/shed move them away to somewhere clean and free of possible growth rof fungus. If possible use pipet and rinse nose and clear any possible blockage. If this happens again.

Green poop is nothing to worry about
Try to use towles/ cotten fabric for a bit. Sometimes wood chips are just not very clean of growth by fungus,

Were so sorry:hit ,, that was definitely aspergillus. My best guess is that you have a faulty incubator. My chicks died one by one from that. And I bring bad news if it is ,all your chicks have a risk of developing infection she might be the weakest and get the infection the first. Please watch out and go to a avian vet. To date none of my birds that developed this ever survived. Especially day olds.
what aspect of the incubator was the problem? asking to preemptively avoid this issue in the future

It may be that before the incubation of the eggs the incubator was not properly disinfected, and contained aspergillus spores, also it is possible some of the eggs may have been infected and died in the shell before hatch, and with the fungus growing inside the dead eggs liberated more spores ,becoming hotspots while others with a better shell Became infected only after hatch and the spores germinated inside of there respiratory system. In healthy ducks thier immune kills the fungus before it starts to take over . But with weak ducklings it is fatal. It can take time for it to show symptoms, hours or days to weeks, or even months for infection in adult ducks
So the take-home message is to clean incubator before use, use a good incubator, clean bedding, definitely remove dead eggs, be sure to check for life with care.

It may be that before the incubation of the eggs the incubator was not properly disinfected, and contained aspergillus spores, also it is possible some of the eggs may have been infected and died in the shell before hatch, and with the fungus growing inside the dead eggs liberated more spores ,becoming hotspots while others with a better shell Became infected only after hatch and the spores germinated inside of there respiratory system. In healthy ducks thier immune kills the fungus before it starts to take over . But with weak ducklings it is fatal. It can take time for it to show symptoms, hours or days to weeks, or even months for infection in adult ducks
So the take-home message is to clean incubator before use, use a good incubator, clean bedding, definitely remove dead eggs, be sure to check for life with care.
Thank you!

First of all she was a tiny bantam that did not absorb all of her yolk, and many of chicks with retained egg sacs are weak and can die to decreased immunity. So do not blame yourself. Bantams are delicate little things in the best of times. Shipped eggs are difficult to hatch. I had 1-2 cartons shipped which hatched better than most. Disinfecting the incubator between hatches is really very important. If you did that it may not have been the issue. Sorry for your loss.

So sorry. Raising chicks is the greatest:jumpy, but loosing one is horrible
t2306.gif
. We are so so sorry, my sympathy and heart goes out to you.:hugs

Thank you all so much for your love and support! It was a brand new incubator and I disinfected it anyway just to be extra safe. Thankfully the other two are now over a week old and doing great! ❤️ Sad that I lost the one but learning a lot from the experience! I have 12 more eggs in a new incubator and hopefully this round will be a much better experience! These ones are local!

Attachments

• A393BB3B-5C48-4CF8-826D-D4B45E299CA3.jpeg
    A393BB3B-5C48-4CF8-826D-D4B45E299CA3.jpeg
    803.5 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom