What’s wrong with my chick’s leg?

DreamShine

Chirping
Dec 11, 2018
Hi! At my work we sell chicks and this little gal got hurt a few weeks ago, I think.

Video here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/BackYardCh...with_this_chicks_leg/?st=JPJFQEUB&sh=89f7237b

They thought she was gonna die but she didn’t, she’s a fighter. I offered to take her home to see what I can do to help.

Is there anything I can do to help? I don’t even know what exactly is wrong with her.

It’s probably important to note that I’ve never owned chickens before but have done extensive research on them.

I’m going to go pick up the chick tomorrow to bring home, I’m hoping to find out if I can help her before then! Thank you!

Edit: unfortunately the chick died last night before I could go pick it up. So instead I got it’s other friend who was there to keep him company.

Last edited:
In the mean time, you might look into making a sling so she can heal. I’m not sure how to put it (leg) back in place. I would probably provide vitamins (B complex?) in case of a deficiency, but this came In suddenly, right? She can probably heal and get around on one leg, but hopefully someone here can advise on helping it heal properly. Sorry not to be of much help besides moral support.

In the mean time, you might look into making a sling so she can heal. I’m not sure how to put it (leg) back in place. I would probably provide vitamins (B complex?) in case of a deficiency, but this came In suddenly, right? She can probably heal and get around on one leg, but hopefully someone here can advise on helping it heal properly. Sorry not to be of much help besides moral support.
I appreciate the moral support, at least I know I’m not alone in this and others are here to help!!

It looks sort of like the slipped tendons I had in some of my chicks... I was not able to correct it with mine, they were out of place too long. I eventually had to euthanize 3 due to it. They couldn’t walk, two out of three weren’t able to get feed/water on their own, they weren’t going to have any quality of life.

Looks like the leg bone is out of the socket at the hip. I never encountered anything like this in a chicken. I did encounter something similar in 2 of my pigeons. The legs just were spreading apart . I kept trying to position them in place using gauze bandaging. Gauze kept the legs from going apart. In the end, there was no success.:hit
Can you get the chicken to a Vet possibly.?

Looks like the leg bone is out of the socket at the hip. I never encountered anything like this in a chicken. I did encounter something similar in 2 of my pigeons. The legs just were spreading apart . I kept trying to position them in place using gauze bandaging. Gauze kept the legs from going apart. In the end, there was no success.:hit
Can you get the chicken to a Vet possibly.?
Unfortunately there are no vets around where I live that specialize in chickens. I’m trying to find the best method to heal her myself, and she has such a fighting spirit that I’m not giving up hope just yet!

Try what I did on my pigeons legs. I used a soft gauze wrapped around lower portion of each leg. Not tight, but somewhat snug. Then create a spacer from cardboard and join the two legs together. Chicken will not be able to walk, but maybe able to hop. Most importantly, maybe able to ether stand, or at least squat/sit so able to eat and drink.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :hugs

Back
Top Bottom