What’s wrong with my chickens eye and what do I do?

Caitlincapri

In the Brooder
Jul 29, 2021
My hens eye was like this when my husband came home from work one day. What does it look like to y’all and what can I do? I have been giving penicillin.

Attachments

• 28701260-8AA4-4887-BA5F-0B31BBB966E9.jpeg
    28701260-8AA4-4887-BA5F-0B31BBB966E9.jpeg
    647.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 02D4F48D-1A13-484B-9231-9A706CA33C7C.jpeg
    02D4F48D-1A13-484B-9231-9A706CA33C7C.jpeg
    719.5 KB · Views: 11
There is an abscess in the eye. It could be from a respiratory disease with a sinus infection, or from a foreign body or peck wound to the eye that has gotten infected. Is the eyelid on the other chicken swollen as well? Have you heard any coughing or crackles when she breathes? Does her eye smell bad?

To treat an eye abscess, you need to flush the eye with saline, and try to clean out the gunk which is solid pus. You may need to first apply a warm and wet compress to her eye for about 10 minutes to soften the pus in order to open the eye and look to see if the eye is still intact. QTips or a small tool and cotton may be required. It can take several attempts to work on getting the pus out and the eye clean. Pus has to come out in order for antibiotics to work.

Respiratory diseases include MG, which is treated with Tylosin, denagard, Baytril, and several other antibiotics. Coryza is treated with culling or giving sulfa antibiotics. A peck wound or foreign body infection, probably would require sulfa antibiotics or baytril, but best prescribed by a vet.

There is an abscess in the eye. It could be from a respiratory disease with a sinus infection, or from a foreign body or peck wound to the eye that has gotten infected. Is the eyelid on the other chicken swollen as well? Have you heard any coughing or crackles when she breathes? Does her eye smell bad?

To treat an eye abscess, you need to flush the eye with saline, and try to clean out the gunk which is solid pus. You may need to first apply a warm and wet compress to her eye for about 10 minutes to soften the pus in order to open the eye and look to see if the eye is still intact. QTips or a small tool and cotton may be required. It can take several attempts to work on getting the pus out and the eye clean. Pus has to come out in order for antibiotics to work.

Respiratory diseases include MG, which is treated with Tylosin, denagard, Baytril, and several other antibiotics. Coryza is treated with culling or giving sulfa antibiotics. A peck wound or foreign body infection, probably would require sulfa antibiotics or baytril, but best prescribed by a vet.
No, the eye lid on the other hen isn’t swollen. And she hasn’t been coughing, although she did come up with a hole in her wing. And as for the smell I’m not sure. But thank you for the info I’ll try what you suggested

Here is what I got out so far there is only a little left but I don’t know if her eye is back there so I’m trying to be as careful as I can any advice? Oh and it does smell bad

Attachments

• D3F3D2AC-24BF-4254-9FA4-C572CD05073F.jpeg
    D3F3D2AC-24BF-4254-9FA4-C572CD05073F.jpeg
    370.2 KB · Views: 8
  • CBF7D705-DB88-4E40-B278-A3387B944FB6.jpeg
    CBF7D705-DB88-4E40-B278-A3387B944FB6.jpeg
    331.7 KB · Views: 10
If the infection has been there long, the eye can be gone, but hopefully it is still intact. Good job on getting some of the pus out. I would keep irrigating the eye. Saline eye wash which is found at most eye displays at Walmart, Target, and pharmacies, is good to use. I like Advanced Ey Relief by Bausch and Lomb which was around $4-5. Pressing around the eye may get more pus out. Here is a graphic video of that being done:

And another one:

If the infection has been there long, the eye can be gone, but hopefully it is still intact. Good job on getting some of the pus out. I would keep irrigating the eye. Saline eye wash which is found at most eye displays at Walmart, Target, and pharmacies, is good to use. I like Advanced Ey Relief by Bausch and Lomb which was around $4-5. Pressing around the eye may get more pus out. Here is a graphic video of that being done:

And another one:

Thank you so much for your help I definitely hope I can save her eye and yeah she started bleeding a little so I stopped but I’m on my way to the store now to get that fingers crossed

Back
Top Bottom